What does pre ban mean?

Never mind, I just read the link you posted, the ban is over...... that being the case, why list the gun as "pre ban" does that make it worth more?
It's referring to the "Assault Weapons" ban of 1994-2004.
The gist of it was: scary looking black rifles were banned as well as magazines holding more than 10 rounds. Stuff made before the ban (pre-ban) was not confiscated.

Never mind, I just read the link you posted, the ban is over...... that being the case, why list the gun as "pre ban" does that make it worth more?
Maybe the seller thinks it has some special collector value, but I doubt it. During the ban, yeah, it would have cost more. Today, I don't think so.

Maybe the seller thinks it has some special collector value, but I doubt it. During the ban, yeah, it would have cost more. Today, I don't think so.
Just a collector niche now. Some folks like to have different version/eras of a rifle.
Thank you both for the reply, it makes sense now.

Reactions: rgo
So whats different about that gun and a new AR?

Some states still have bans in place and the pre 1994 guns command a premium in those states.

Since people in non ban states can sell to people in ban states, it makes the guns here in Georgia worth more. Why would I sell something to someone in Georgia for 5 bucks when someone in Massachusetts will pay me 30 bucks for the same thing.

Preban for ARs and other USA made firearms generally means made before September 1994. The 1994 AWB sunset in Sept 2004 in all but a small handful of states (NY, Massachusetts, Connecticut, etc).

Preban for AKs and other foreign firearms usually refers to sporting purposes, 922r, and guns made before 1989. This ban is still in place in all 50 states.

Back
Top Bottom