• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

What do I need to cut ar500 armor?

renault314

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
27   0
Reaction score
Hey,
I have a nice plate carrier that is sized for medium sapi plates (9.5x11inch), but who wants to spend the money on that? I have another plate carrier, a crye jpc that takes off the shelf 10x12 ar500 steel plates, but they wont fit in the medium carrier that i have. So instead of purchasing crazy expensive medium ceramic plates (from a who knows how many times they were dropped Ebay supplier) i figured i could just buy steel plates and cut them down.

So, what do i need? A sawzall, with a metal blade? oxy/acet torch? a phased plasma cannon in the 40 watt range? if something is wrong with this plan, let me know, and i already anticipate messing up the spall liner but i can fix that.
thanks!

I'm not an expert, but the online research I scanned about AR500 targets was that any high heat would change the properties near the cut. That could lead to failure near the edges of the armor. Water jet would be my choice if available. Plasma or other method if I was intent on cutting a plate to save money while foregoing full plate protection.

But I'm interested in opinions of folks who know what they're talking about.

I'm not an expert, but the online research I scanned about AR500 targets was that any high heat would change the properties near the cut. That could lead to failure near the edges of the armor. Water jet would be my choice if available. Plasma or other method if I was intent on cutting a plate to save money while foregoing full plate protection.

But I'm interested in opinions of folks who know what they're talking about.
hmm, i hadnt considered that a high heat process might mess up the hardening. Good point.

Back when I did maintenance for rock quarries we used AR 250 and 500 as wear liners inside of chutes (till the 2nd gulf war caused a shortage because it was being used as armor). We always just cut it with oxy/acetylene torches and welded it in place. I cant say I ever noticed a difference in the wear pattern due to the heat of cutting and welding. I feel that if you know how to run a torch your going to be cutting so quickly that your not going to be heating the metal enough to affect the heat treat more than maybe 1/4" from the edge. Besides a cutting torch doesnt heat and "melt" the metal as some think its actually high speed oxidation.

If it was me I would be fine using my torch but I do understand someones concern about that 1/4" or so of weakness.

I feel pretty confident that even and angle grinder would do the trick. You would want to go nice and easy and keep the wheel moving though. Like others have stated, the high heat can damage the properties of the steel, but I really don't think it would make a big enough difference. Also a steel cutting bandsaw will work. If I were you, I would just pony up and by the plates for your rig. Most AR500 armor plates are contoured to fit the general curvature of a human chest/back. If you slap a flat piece in there it is going to make a big difference for the worse in wearability and comfortability. You'll end up spending $100 or so on the steel and an afternoon making a sub-par product. The pro stuff also has anti-spalling coating would you ever actually take a round into the plate.

Back
Top Bottom