• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

What are the differences in MAK 90s. AK gurus?

Ok found out a few things apparently Norinco and Polytech were fake fronts set up by the Chinese govt to export ak47 type rifles. It seems that much of the early production was not stamped Norinco due to the Chinese taking military grade parts and shipping them all over in semi auto configurations.
Polytech came along later and was aimed at the civillian "brand name" market and were manufactured with silver followers in the mags and brighter finishes purely for civilian export.
The rifle seems to be one that was caught up in customs about the time the importer (Stephen A Holmquist) Armco got charged with 6 counts of importing firearms by means of false statements and 3 counts of exporting restricted firearms to China. He was convicted and sent to federal prison.
It has a 91 serial prefix. I am assuming this rifle was one of the early no manufacturer stamp early builds that got caught up and spent a good bit of time in customs. I have inspected the receiver carefully inside and out and there is no sign of a third hole, Still not sure about the receiver cover though???

BamBam Thats a pic of the stamp and in the same place. I know the bayonet lug is ground off and you can see some machine marks on the front of the front sight I'm assuming from when the threads were turned off. That looks like it may be the same receiver cover too.

Barrel measured .608

Last edited:
Came across a NHM-91 Mak 90 made my Norinco. Imported by SSI Ont Canada. It has a longer barrel than a AK.
What appears to be a threaded barrel that is spot welded where it meets the barrel, has an adjustable front sight like an AR.
Any idea what this is worth?

Attachments

• IMG958326.jpg
    IMG958326.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 788
Last edited:
he stamped receiver MAK-90 in 7.62 and .223 have barrels that are .608" in diameter.
The milled receiver MAK-90 has a .615" diameter barrel.
The milled receiver MAK-91 has a .684" diameter barrel and the NHM-91 has a .668 diameter barrel.
The Maddi post bans have .580" diameter barrels and Romanian's are .584".
All AK's have barrels that are 4 different diameters in different places. The chamber is the largest diameter then steps down at the rear sight block, next the gas block, and finally the smallest diameter is at the front sight.

All Poly Tech AKs have an oval 386 stamped on the receiver. All the milled receiver Chinese rifles have 386 in a oval. The post ban models MAK-90,MAK-91,AK Hunter and Poly Tech Legend pre bans have the 386 in a oval.

The barrels of milled receiver MAK-90 and 91 rifles are not threaded . The fit and finish of Poly Tech rifles pre or post ban are the best of all Chinese rifles imported. The trigger pull is the best of any AK imported into the US, yes even better than the "holy grail" of AK's, the Bulgarian SLR-95. Just spray paint a milled MAK-90 black like the Bulgarians, and you will have the best finished AK imported with the best trigger pull.

All Chinese MAK-90 rifles that were in the first bunch imported/in customs right after the 1989 ban had threaded barrels. All after this bunch had the threads turned off the barrel. My NHM-91 and MAK-91 have barrels heavier and longer than MAK-90's. They shoot tighter groups but I don't know if this is because of better/heavy barrels or longer sight radius of the 20" barrels.

All the milled receiver post ban rifles have the slant cut with round hole in the rear of the receiver. I subscribe to the theory that they were going to be underfolding stock receivers, but instead of the holes milled in the side, one was cut in the rear. My MAK-90 and MAK-91 fit my NHM-90 stock like a glove. My NHM-90 has a receiver with a solid slanted rear and cut outs for the underfolding stock on the side of the receiver.

More measurements of my AK rifles barrels with calipers between the gas block and front sight:

MAK-90 milled=615"
MAK-91 milled=.684" (heavist)
MAK-90 stamped=.608"
NHM-90 stamped=.601"
NHM-91 stamped=.668"
MAK-90 stamped .223=.608"
Maadi ARM,RPM,and RML=.580"

I found this on the internet

My Poly is a 416 in a Triangle?

Came across a NHM-91 Mak 90 made my Norinco. Imported by SSI Ont Canada. It has a longer barrel than a AK.
What appears to be a threaded barrel that is spot welded where it meets the barrel, has an adjustable front sight like an AR.
Any idea what this is worth?

NHM-91 is a heavy barrel RPK style gun with RPK trunion and 20in barrel.

Back
Top Bottom