• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Weapons carry on Army Corps land…

UPDATE: 23AUG

OK, I finally got around to sending a letter of request to the ACoE for concealed carry on local lakes and received it today…. the chief honcho in charge down in Mobile District is:
Jeremy J. Chapman P.E.
Colonel, US Army
District Commander

if anyone needs to know….who signed the letter.

The letter states "you must carry a copy of both this letter and your state firearm carry permit ON YOUR PERSON at all times when possessing and carrying a loaded firearm under this authorization."

Now, the question is, those of you with the same authorization, do you physically carry a paper copy of a two page letter folded up in your wallet…. or did you do like I’m thinking and take a picture of the letter and carry it on your phone? Would seem to have made more sense to have a small authorization "card" to accompany your GWC permit…

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is there some sort of process to get a permit for that? Per Federal law, it’s illegal.
What’s illegal? Open or concealed carry on corp land? The body of water would not be corp land if my thoughts are correct. However, any corp boat ramp, dock, park, or parking area would fall into that category. Being on the lake or tributary wouldn’t be the same as usung their land to access the water.

What’s illegal? Open or concealed carry on corp land? The body of water would not be corp land if my thoughts are correct. However, any corp boat ramp, dock, park, or parking area would fall into that category. Being on the lake or tributary wouldn’t be the same as usung their land to access the water.

Not certain if one was out on the water in their boat whether the ACoE would have jurisdiction but one usually has to tread the land or dock to access the boat in the water…. the LOA does state the holder is "authorized to carry a loaded firearm on project lands and water bodies"….

OK, I finally got around to sending a letter of request to the ACoE for concealed carry on local lakes and received it today…. the chief honcho in charge down in Mobile District is:
Jeremy J. Chapman P.E.
Colonel, US Army
District Commander

The letter states "you must carry a copy of both this letter and your state firearm carry permit ON YOUR PERSON at all times when possessing and carrying a loaded firearm under this authorization."

Now, the question is, those of you with the same authorization, do you physically carry a paper copy of a two page letter folded up in your wallet…. or did you do like I’m thinking and take a picture of the letter and carry it on your phone? Would seem to have made more sense to have a small authorization "card" to accompany your GWC permit…

On my printer/scanner/copier, I copied and reduced it so that it was as small as possible, yet still readable, then folded it up and I always keep it in my wallet.

Keeping a picture of it on your phone, as mentioned, would probably also be a good idea, either by itself, or as a backup (in case your paper copy gets lost or wet, like mine very well could).

Jeremy J. Chapman P.E.
Colonel, US Army
District Commander

Good to know

The ACOE owns the land under the lake, and controls the water in it.

Nothing exactly new here, it has controlled the carry of firearms on the lakes for decades for hunting. Hunter do not need permits or permission.

Maybe one day (but probably not) “shall not be infringed “ will be a reality and not a cute phrase on a “gun t-shirt”
Probably never happen. Even though Georgia is now a "constitutional carry" state, most of the fine "my gun my rules, I support the 2nd amendment but it's for my protection" lovers on this site will not think of selling you a gun, any gun, unless you have your Georgia Weapons Permit man card. It's really quite pitiful.

Probably never happen. Even though Georgia is now a "constitutional carry" state, most of the fine "my gun my rules, I support the 2nd amendment but it's for my protection" lovers on this site will not think of selling you a gun, any gun, unless you have your Georgia Weapons Permit man card. It's really quite pitiful.

It’s a bit of a dilemma we all face when selling a gun (especially a handgun)…. the easiest "piece of mind" available is to sell to another who possesses a GCW permit…. that way the seller has a greater sense of confidence that weapon is less likely to be used illegally to harm others…. (though it’s never a guarantee) Someone who holds a valid GCW permit has undergone vetting much the same as one would going into a store and purchasing a firearm from an FFL….

This site is somewhat like a "club" and most times only "club members" can buy a gun on here…. though there are some who may sell to others outside the club but my guess is that it would more likely be a long-gun or shotgun…. it’s just one of those "things" on this forum…. not everyone is pleased with that but it's how life is sometimes….

Back
Top Bottom