• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Weapon mounted light.

Nob0dy

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
319   0
Reaction score
Haven't seen anything directly, but is it illegal to mount a flashlight on your hunting rifle? I know its illegal to spot light deer but what if you just have the light mounted on your rifle while hunting?

I maybe thinking its better to remove it to avoid the whole situation but I was thinking more along the lines of protection while walking to the stand. Like if walked across an animal that was aggressive, and since its early when you get in the stand its easier to have it mounted on the gun vs in my hand.

Any insist would be great.

The regs are a little confusing on this subject, but it appears that they only allow hand held, headlamps, or lights fixed to the belt or body of the hunter.

I don’t know anyone who ever had a problem with animals being aggressive while walking to the stand at night. I usually have a headlamp on. If it’s a problem carry a sidearm with a WML?

The regs are a little confusing on this subject, but it appears that they only allow hand held, headlamps, or lights fixed to the belt or body of the hunter.

I don’t know anyone who ever had a problem with animals being aggressive while walking to the stand at night. I usually have a headlamp on. If it’s a problem carry a sidearm with a WML?
Yeah I saw that but if I walked across a hog or a coyote it could piss it off. I carry a side arm but if a Game Warden wanted to make a issue out of it I could maybe get in trouble for having the light on my side arm. Some people hunt with side arms.

Yeah I saw that but if I walked across a hog or a coyote it could piss it off. I carry a side arm but if a Game Warden wanted to make a issue out of it I could maybe get in trouble for having the light on my side arm. Some people hunt with side arms.
I think your carry permit covers your sidearm, and most game wardens are reasonable guys/gals, so as long as you have a hunting rifle, they probably will assume you aren’t using the handgun for hunting at night.

I’ve stumbled across ALOT of hogs in daylight, like literally almost stepped on bedded pigs, and shot plenty at 10-20 yards, none of them acted aggressive towards me, they either freeze motionless and try to figure out what I am before running or they immediately bolt. I know boars will occasionally get aggressive once wounded or in areas where they aren’t hunted and don’t fear people, but in heavily hunted areas they want nothing to do with people. I worry more about snakes at night than pigs, and coyotes concern me about as much as mosquitoes.
Ive blown a lot of critters out at night walking to hunting spots, I’m sure a good mix of deer and pigs, and probably yotes too. You’ll hear them run off before you see them. When they hear a human stomping through the woods they get out of the way.

The regs say "Any light used to hunt raccoons, opossums, foxes, bobcats must be carried on the body of the hunter, affixed to a helmet or hat worn by the hunter, or be part of a belt system worn by the hunter. "

I don't use any light to hunt any animal. My hunting rifles are also my defensive and target rifles. As such my lights stay on my rifles.

The regs say "Any light used to hunt raccoons, opossums, foxes, bobcats must be carried on the body of the hunter, affixed to a helmet or hat worn by the hunter, or be part of a belt system worn by the hunter. "

I don't use any light to hunt any animal. My hunting rifles are also my defensive and target rifles. As such my lights stay on my rifles.
Thats my arguement too but I don't want to stir anything up

Thats my arguement too but I don't want to stir anything up

I'm not aware of any reg that says you can't have a gun on your weapon while hunting. Just that you can't use one to hunt while mounted.

Personally I have documented evidence of trespassers on my land at night along with felony trespassing warning tickets issued by the sheriff. Not counting all the wild dogs running around. If Mr. Green Jeans decided to make something of it, which I see no way he can, but if he did, I'd politely tell him to go **** himself.

I'm not aware of any reg that says you can't have a gun on your weapon while hunting. Just that you can't use one to hunt while mounted.

Personally I have documented evidence of trespassers on my land at night along with felony trespassing warning tickets issued by the sheriff. Not counting all the wild dogs running around. If Mr. Green Jeans decided to make something of it, which I see no way he can, but if he did, I'd politely tell him to go **** himself.
Makes sense to me. Just wantes to see if anybody new directly.

Back
Top Bottom