• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Wanting to get into reloading

Buy a high quality loading manual like the Nosler or Lee books, don’t go on YouTube and watch videos on there you’ll end up getting hurt. Lee makes good quality equipment for what you’re paying for dies and presses, however I’d spend the extra money and get Lyman equipment for powder handling as well as case prep. As far as cartridges go you’re not going to save any kind of money unless you’re a competitive shooter or you load for old black powder stuff. I load mainly to gain the absolute maximum amount precision I can get out of the rifle ammo I load. Primers, Powder, and some projectiles are hard to come by now a days and when you do find them they’re way over priced. There’s a lot of rabbit holes you can travel down but start out with 1 cartridge and branch out from there.

Buy a high quality loading manual like the Nosler or Lee books, don’t go on YouTube and watch videos on there you’ll end up getting hurt. Lee makes good quality equipment for what you’re paying for dies and presses, however I’d spend the extra money and get Lyman equipment for powder handling as well as case prep. As far as cartridges go you’re not going to save any kind of money unless you’re a competitive shooter or you load for old black powder stuff. I load mainly to gain the absolute maximum amount precision I can get out of the rifle ammo I load. Primers, Powder, and some projectiles are hard to come by now a days and when you do find them they’re way over priced. There’s a lot of rabbit holes you can travel down but start out with 1 cartridge and branch out from there.
I have several different books and manuals that range from the 70s to now. The only thing I use YouTube for is trying to get ideas on setting up a work area and some basic equipment set up. I'll be starting with 44 mag and 30-06, as I have plenty of supplies to use for them. My plan is to set up an area for pistols and another for rifle. Probably on separate ends of the bench. I inherited a lot of equipment and supplies, which will allow me to do that.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

I have several different books and manuals that range from the 70s to now. The only thing I use YouTube for is trying to get ideas on setting up a work area and some basic equipment set up. I'll be starting with 44 mag and 30-06, as I have plenty of supplies to use for them. My plan is to set up an area for pistols and another for rifle. Probably on separate ends of the bench. I inherited a lot of equipment and supplies, which will allow me to do that.

Sounds like you’re off to a better start than most people are.

One thing is for sure, I research and research everything before I start it. Safety is a must, anytime you're dealing with firearms and anything associated with it. I'm slowly buying some things as I find deals on them. Eventually things will settle down and I will build up my supply for the calibers I mainly shoot. I actually found some 100 round boxes of 12ga and a few 16ga shells at wally world today.

Back
Top Bottom