Wanting to bow hunt

jkaczyn18

Default rank <3500 posts Lifetime Supporter
ODT Junkie!
206   0
Reaction score
I want to start bow hunting, but don't know much about equipment and necessities. What would be a good starter bow setup for hunting deer and pigs. I want something that will get me through a season or 2, and would be a plus if when I decide to upgrade I don't take a huge hit. Thanks for any info you guys have for a total newb bow hunter.

Get a decent compound bow that you can afford. You will want a release, arrows, field tips and broad heads, and if bow doesn't have rest and sights you will need to get those as well.
You will need to have a place to shoot. I recommend shooting as much as you can. Practice makes one better.
There are several places to start looking for a bow. Here for one, local sporting goods stores is another, or possibly other forums.
Happy shooting and enjoy the quest to be better with bow and arrow.

Get a decent compound bow that you can afford. You will want a release, arrows, field tips and broad heads, and if bow doesn't have rest and sights you will need to get those as well.
You will need to have a place to shoot. I recommend shooting as much as you can. Practice makes one better.
There are several places to start looking for a bow. Here for one, local sporting goods stores is another, or possibly other forums.
Happy shooting and enjoy the quest to be better with bow and arrow.

Thanks for the reply. Now what is a good reputable bow that won't break the bank to bad. I don't mind spending some on quality, but I also don't need a $2000 bow right now.

I got a Mathews switchback I am lookin to sell....it's a couple years old and ya wouldn't be sinkin a lot of money into it..still a great bow for the money. Depends on if it was right length and stuff for ya!

Hoyt, Matthews, bow tech, pse are all good bows and you could start with a used one and if you really like it then upgrade. To answer the ? On what is a rest it is what the arrow rest on at full draw. Now you can search many local venues to find a used bow for sale from someone wanting to upgrade

Go to a BOW SHOP!!! Get a bow that actually fits YOU. There are many good deals from private sellers also but make sure you know your draw length and ability to pull. Once thats determined verify the used bow will fit those parameters. Have bow checked by a pro, many good bows for sale many more crap bows for sale. I get a steady stream of latter everyday who thought they got a deal and basically got a problem. Im not lookin to sell youa bow i wont even tell you were im at, what im saying is have someone who really knows help you make a good choice cause i want your first archery exp to be a good one. Only buy it at a retailer if they have a pro on hand to adjust bow to fit you and allow you to shoot it etc..

Last edited:
What you need is a bow with a arrow rest. A peep sight on the bow string. Bow sights, D ring if your going to use a release. And some arrows. Field point for target practice. And broad heads for deer hunting.

Back
Top Bottom