Jdsiro

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
Reaction score
I would like to take all your unwanted deer hides and heads off your hands! I want to teach myself how to brain tan some buckskin this year, so I need some hides and heads to practice with! I live in Athens, so if you are around here, great! If not, I can drive about 45 minutes to come get them. Farther away than that, I'll consider it if you have more than one or two.

Thank you!
Justin

jdsiro@gmail.com
719-338-0064 (text, or call and leave a message)

You could stop by any local deer processor and ask for the hides .Most have found it too much work for them to mess with so they just dump them.
I would also suggest chemical tanning over brains .Its cheap and looks better if you ask me .

Chemical tanning is sure fire, easy to do, and not too expensive.

Deer hides are rather thin, even for garment leather.

You could stop by any local deer processor and ask for the hides .Most have found it too much work for them to mess with so they just dump them.
I would also suggest chemical tanning over brains .Its cheap and looks better if you ask me .

So apparently there is somebody around who already has that market pretty well sewed up... They have a deal with all the processors to get the hides and then they ship them to a tannery in NY.

I just want to brain tan because it is a traditional skill that I'm interested in. If not for that, I would do the chemical tanning.

Lessons learned so far:

I am very out of practice when it comes to skinning an animal.

It is kinda hard to pick up where someone else left off.

Next time cover the garage floor in newspaper.

YouTube can be a great resource, but it can also make things look deceptively easy...

The landfill charges $10 to drop off a carcass!!!

In the future:

Be aware I work nights the first half of the week, so that limits when I can pick things up. 8:30 AM will be the earliest, 5 the latest. The weekend shouldn't be much of an issue.

I don't want to sound picky, I know beggars can't be choosers, and I am super super super thankful for the first person to give me a carcass (you rock, PercentMan!), but from now on
I can only take hides and heads. While I wish I had a breeding pair of wolverines to consume carcasses for me, I unfortunately don't, and outside of the landfill at ten bucks a .... buck... (yes, pun intended) I don't have a place to dispose of the remains. Wish I could help you all get rid of things, but I jus don't have the money to do so.

My fleshing knife should be here tomorrow, and then the real work begins!!!

So apparently there is somebody around who already has that market pretty well sewed up... They have a deal with all the processors to get the hides and then they ship them to a tannery in NY.

I just want to brain tan because it is a traditional skill that I'm interested in. If not for that, I would do the chemical tanning.
When I get back to Ga I can check with some local processors in Milledgeville.
A helpful hint for skinning make a small slice in the elbow and blow up with an air compressor. I like to fill them up untill the legs split or pop.
Most will use a pressure washer to flesh the hide if you have access to one ,For years I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel .
If you do brain tan the hide rember to also smoke it .

Back
Top Bottom