• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Want to learn how to ride a motorcycle

Do not buy a 600cc super sport for your first bike. WAY too much bike. If you want a sporty type bike, Ninja 650s are cheap as hell and are actually controllable for a new rider.

Anyone who would recommend a 600cc super sport for a first bike doesn’t have enough seat time on one to be making the recommendation.

My 1000cc sport twin is easier to control than a 600cc super sport.

This afternoon up on Blood Mountain.

011352AD-884A-4D74-826A-BB4484FDC3E5.jpeg

Dang I really don’t know which would be for me.... it will be rode more off road than on road to be honest

DRZ400SM if you're doing more street than dirt. DRZ400E if you want the most bulletproof dual purpose bike in the category but old technology and heavy. WR250X if you have a taller inseam and prefer the slightly more dirt bike oriented feeling of the WR. CRF250L is fairly new to the segment and is a nice option for dual purpose use and very low power output for learning on. I maxed out mine around 72mph though. Then Honda just released the CRF450L last year and honestly it's probably the best option. You get the displacement of a 450 with the ride handling of a WR250X or a CRF250L. Very dirt oriented but very friendly street manners. Then if budget isn't a problem you can look at the Husky FE350 or KTM 350EXC-F line. Just remember the KTM and Husqvarna need to be serviced and treated as though it's a straight dirt bike.

DRZ400SM if you're doing more street than dirt. DRZ400E if you want the most bulletproof dual purpose bike in the category but old technology and heavy. WR250X if you have a taller inseam and prefer the slightly more dirt bike oriented feeling of the WR. CRF250L is fairly new to the segment and is a nice option for dual purpose use and very low power output for learning on. I maxed out mine around 72mph though. Then Honda just released the CRF450L last year and honestly it's probably the best option. You get the displacement of a 450 with the ride handling of a WR250X or a CRF250L. Very dirt oriented but very friendly street manners. Then if budget isn't a problem you can look at the Husky FE350 or KTM 350EXC-F line. Just remember the KTM and Husqvarna need to be serviced and treated as though it's a straight dirt bike.
You always come in clutch bro, your the reason I got my rubicon and I love it

You always come in clutch bro, your the reason I got my rubicon and I love it

Something cool about the CRF450L they left the frame bare aluminum to shave ounces off the weight, then they also removed some of the heavier plastic and metal pieces to shave weight. They really took a serious look at building a reliable 450 dual sport.

Something cool about the CRF450L they left the frame bare aluminum to shave ounces off the weight, then they also removed some of the heavier plastic and metal pieces to shave weight. They really took a serious look at building a reliable 450 dual sport.
So I’m guessing out of the 450l , Wr250r , or the 400 drz you would go with the 450L

And you don’t think that’s gonna be too much for someone with relatively zero riding experience?

OK, ill bite. a few things
There are several kinds of moto people but years of observation says 2 groups are 80%
Group one, they buy a bike as an impulse, midlife crisis from a divorce ,want to go on charity rides or think they will pick up trashies at the bar. They have 6 yr old HDs in the garage with 2500 miles on them. They are the loud pipes crowd, the had to layer down brigade and they are the" 2 types of biker guys". Dismiss any and all these guys say about anything. They have zero clue how to ride a motorcycle. its all image. Again, dismiss anything about motorcycles wholesale and in its entirety. These are the guys that on a twisty road, hammer the straights and then freeze up and wobble through the corner. This is the vast majority of people with bikes in the garage and God bless em. They are free to enjoy it as the see fit. Just remember, they don;t know their ass from a hole in the ground about riding a motorcycle. They say a lot of stupid ****. This is fully 75% of people that own motorcycles.

Then there is 5%. These are the folks that live, breathe bikes. They have no friends that don't feel the same as them. Even the wife is suspect. They might be brand loyal but truly love all brands that are performance based. They tend to have 5+ bikes in the garage, do their own service and travel a lot. They keep on current events in the industry and nitpic every little thing. Annoying but knowledgeable.

Then you have the BMW/KTM crowd. The joke is you always see them parked outside of starbucks. Its true. They tend to be dbags. If you need to know about new whaleskin heated grips, find one of these clowns. I suspect most are gay.

Then the urban stretched loud exhaust guys. Hayabusas and Ninja 14 and now bagger crowd. These mopes are a staple at bike nights in the cycle gear parking lot. They put stupid stereos and have lots of colorful lights. They scatter like roaches when the cops show up lookin to serve a warrant to a baby daddy. Dbags and they add nothing either.

This is how it is

Back
Top Bottom