want a 1911 - dont know where to start

Like I stated above, the Loaded models and below at SAI are made by Imbel in Brazil. SAI makes the slides, barrels and most of their small parts themselves, on all their 1911's.

On the Range Officer, TRP, Professional, etc., SAI makes the FRAMES as well as the rest of the pistol.

I can only think of 1 company in the world that currently is making 100% of all the parts on their handguns and that is Sphinx in Switzerland. Everyone else outsources numerous parts.

Ed Brown makes all of their parts in house. They aren't within range of the OPs post but saying there is only one in the world is inaccurate.

Once again, wrong. I'm not gonna post the entirety for a THIRD time, but the upper end Springfield 1911's are 100% made in the USA. The RO and "above" models use American-made slides and frames, made by SAI in Illinois. Many of the small parts are sourced out, but are American made.

Ed Brown 1911's are NOT 100% made in-house, although they are all American made. Ed Brown sources out their springs and grips, at a minimum. Possibly more parts, but definitely the springs and grips. My statement is accurate.

Sphinx makes every single part of their high-end pistols, right down to the springs, pins, grip panels, etc. Sphinx has come out with some less expensive pistols in the last few years......I can't comment on those because I do not know enough about them.

Um...I beg to differ. Springfield does not own a forge. All frames are imported from Brazil. Period, unless you can post a link to prove otherwise.

I've owned several 1911's and my Springfield loaded is the best one I have ever held. Don't rule the Springfield out. Go put you hands on one and you will change your mind. The Springfield is better than the S&W hands down. Kimber doesn't hold a candle to the springy. Colt is good but the trigger on the Springfield is hands down better by a long shot. Springfield has been making these guns for a long time and they do it right. For right at 900 bucks you can get everything to be put on one with the Springfield. For the guns you listed the Springfield is the better choice. You won't get a better gun until you get up into the Les Bear, Black Hawk and the really expensive guns and they can run you in upwards of 5,000 dollars. Having owned all of the guns listed the one you didn't has my vote the Springfield A1 loaded. The trigger pull alone is worth the price of admission. Go to a gun shop and ask the rep his opinion of the Springfield. As far as made in America the forging is done in Brazil, the finishing and fitting is done in the good ole USA. 90 % of everything in your house is made outside the US. And these guys saying they like their guns made in the USA say that while they are getting in their Toyota Tundra. LOL Go to somewhere like Adventure Outdoors and put your hands on one of each and notice the trigger pull. Most of the guns you listed you will be heading the gunsmith for a trigger job as soon as you leave where you purchased it from. Don't buy the gun that looks the coolest by the gun that functions solidly and has a great trigger. Most of the 1911's have shoddy triggers. The Springfield has the best single action trigger out there. Period! As far as accuracy at 15 yards it makes one big hole with 8 shots.

Last edited:
Only thing that the 1911 lacks is round capacity...great guns and I carry a 1911 daily but for home defense I've got a CZ P-09 with 19+1 capacity and a TLR-1 rail light with strobe function.
That CZ will outshoot any 1911 I've ever shot right out of the box and 1911's shoot well.

Only thing that the 1911 lacks is round capacity...great guns and I carry a 1911 daily but for home defense I've got a CZ P-09 with 19+1 capacity and a TLR-1 rail light with strobe function.
That CZ will outshoot any 1911 I've ever shot right out of the box and 1911's shoot well.

Ahh, well not exactly if you are comparing apples to apples!
First the Cz's are 9 MM or 40 S & W, the model 97 CZ is a stacked 45 acp but only has a 10 round capacity!
Guess what so does my single line 1911 in 10 MM, and my several 38 supers.
and then there is that old Dan Wesson Point man High capacity that holds 14 +1 round of 45 acp as well.
it depends on what 1911 that you are comparing to what other weapon.
Now I love my Cz's but one needs to kind of ball park compare like examples to each other.
Interestingly I have several 1911's of different brands and they all varied in the smoothness and actual trigger weights, very few needed trigger work by me to be satisfactory, course I like a 4 -4 1/2 pound trigger that's crisp and short, others may like something different.
making claims of all pistols of a certain brand/model across the board generally doesn't hold water unless its a high dollar true custom or near custom weapon.

Ahh, well not exactly if you are comparing apples to apples!
First the Cz's are 9 MM or 40 S & W, the model 97 CZ is a stacked 45 acp but only has a 10 round capacity!
Guess what so does my single line 1911 in 10 MM, and my several 38 supers.
and then there is that old Dan Wesson Point man High capacity that holds 14 +1 round of 45 acp as well.
it depends on what 1911 that you are comparing to what other weapon.
Now I love my Cz's but one needs to kind of ball park compare like examples to each other.
Interestingly I have several 1911's of different brands and they all varied in the smoothness and actual trigger weights, very few needed trigger work by me to be satisfactory, course I like a 4 -4 1/2 pound trigger that's crisp and short, others may like something different.
making claims of all pistols of a certain brand/model across the board generally doesn't hold water unless its a high dollar true custom or near custom weapon.
x

Yep, fair enough....just loving the 19+1 capacity..yes 9mm but lots of em....LOL.

Ed Brown 1911's are NOT 100% made in-house, although they are all American made. Ed Brown sources out their springs and grips, at a minimum. Possibly more parts, but definitely the springs and grips. My statement is accurate.
\

Semantics.

This thread has gone way sideways as it usually does when someone is looking for an opinion on a 1911. To the OP, I don't think you can go wrong with any of the mentioned 1911s including the Springfield Loaded (I loved mine). You'll end up getting a second one anyway so just shoot/hold some and pick one and give us a range report. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom