• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Visit from the ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobalt 60

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
119   0
Reaction score
I spoke with a gentleman today who was paid a visit by the ATF. He is not an FFL or SOT. They were interested in the number of firearms he has purchased in recent years. From the questions they asked, it sounds like they were on a fishing expedition. I am not at liberty to divulge anything else, but wanted to spread the word that this has happened, and might very well happen again to one of you. I have heard tales of the ATF doing a drop by visit to an individual who has no special licensing, but this is the first time I have actual knowledge of it occurring.

There is a lot of misinformation out there about ATF and what they can and can't do. The reality is that, short of a search warrant, they can not come into your home and search just because you own firearms or NFA firearms. There is no requirement that you provide any information whatsoever to them.

If they show up at your door, it is not because of curiosity or because the want to check out your awesome SBR'd AK. They are there to try and find evidence of a crime. There is no other reason for them to visit you.

You have the right to refuse to speak with them and tell them to go away or to tell them as much info as you like and let them take a look at your collection, records, etc. That is a choice only you can make. In either instance, it behooves you to be polite and crystal clear in whatever you do say.

As always, none of this is intended as legal advice and no attorney client relationship is created by this commentary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom