• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Vinyl flooring question. ........

I had removed all of the carpet in my 2000sqft home and replaced it with Pergo Max from Lowes. Did it myself with the help of my 2 youngest girls About 6 or 7 years ago. It's held up very well to 3 dogs, a couple of cats and 5 people and I would install it again. I had used the vinyl stuff before that but the finish did not hold up and wore through after a year or so. Pergo is the way to go. Living room, hallway and 3 bedrooms all installed in a few days. Snap and click it together.

7B86241A-4FEF-466B-91C8-0777B1089DCC.jpeg
Vinyl plank here. Much more durable

I did a little over 800 Sq foot in my basement last year. I used the Lifeproof LVP from Home Depot. I was shocked at how easy it is. I put it straight down on the concrete floor. You can even cut the stuff with a good razor knife. Just simply score it and break it. I recommend it!

i just got done doing my house. I would highly suggest vinyl over laminate as it is totally waterproof, looks just as good, and is MUCH easier to work with.

The lifeproof from home depot is pretty nice, main thing you want to look at is the wear layer and make sure its one of the thickest you can find.

As far as installation i'd just do it myself as it is incredibly easy. No glue needed at all and only basic tools. You can just score and snap the vinyl as well but i still recommend using a miter saw or similar

20181213_173553.jpg
20181213_173610.jpg
I did my own vinyl plank. It cuts with a knife. You just score and pop it. A room that size could easily be done in a day by yourself. The only hard part is around doors. I had never done it before then. It just snaps together. All you need is a rubber mallet. We got ours from floor and decor. I think its the 7mm thick. You can get it a lot cheaper than what l got but it's a lot thinner

Its pretty easy to do yourself ASSUMING its not that much less height than the carpet is so that door frames and such still look fine and don't need to be replaced.

Expect to pay between 1.50 and 2.50 a sq ft for install labor.

Its pretty easy to do yourself ASSUMING its not that much less height than the carpet is so that door frames and such still look fine and don't need to be replaced.

Expect to pay between 1.50 and 2.50 a sq ft for install labor.

Plus tear up and haul off of the old carpet.

I have done 3 different floating floors - one engineered wood, one Luxury vinyl tile and one 30 hr water spill resistant laminate. It is pretty easy if you don't have any (or many ) doorways and the floor is level. Buy the tools, follow directions AND check youtube and you will be good to go. It was hard on my knees and noisy tapping the joints together. I did have some joints open up when assembling planks in later sections. This required a little vigorous tapping plus I temporarily locked one end down to restrict movement until the job was done. If you have the time it is definitely worth checking.

Back
Top Bottom