Very old Colt Woodsman 22lr - What modern ammo is safe to shoot?

Korndog

Default rank <2500 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
93   0
Reaction score
Can it safely run 40gr high velocity stuff like CCI MiniMags without damaging the pistol? Or is it best to stick with something else? Like standard velocity loads?

Depending on age and shape… I would stick with standard velocity vs high vel. loads .
If you are unsure , have it checked by a competent gunsmith. It is very hard to tell from just over the net, I would let someone check the gun in person.
All my own opinion, of course.

I ruined a 1950s era high standard by shooting too much high velocity cheap ammo in the 1980s.

the recoil spring the main spring that absorbs the recoil and soften the blow of the slide hitting the back of the frame was weak .

I probably should've replaced it but at the very least I should've Limited that gun to a diet of only standard velocity.

33D69B86-9D25-4932-8B17-5AC68BAD7AF6.jpeg

I'd replace the recoil spring with a new one for eight dollars from Wolf Gun Springs if you're planning on shooting this more than a few magazines' worth of rounds each year.

****** I don’t have one, but am relaying what my father’s gunsmith friend told him when he asked the same question.

He was told to stick with any quality standard velocity ammo, and to avoid high velocity rounds. He likes his old pistols, and this topic has come up multiple times. His smith always gives him this answer.

Back
Top Bottom