• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Venturing into .38 Super/Super Comp...need advice

synspeed

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
74   0
Reaction score
Have plans for a .38 Super Comp open gun and need some sound advice on handloads. I currently shoot steel challenges on a regular basis, so power factor has not been an issue. Once I step into USPSA, this will obviously change. What I need is some sound advice on load data, bullet selection, powder choices, pressure dangers, etc. The gun will be an STI or some variant thereof. Also, is it necessary to install an Aftec extractor for reliable case extraction when running .38SC? I have an order of 1k Montana Gold 124gr JHP projectiles on the way, and was going to load them. Dies are Dillon. Thanks gurus!

The comp will have a lot to do with what powder is used. Older guns built when the power factor was 175 like huge charges of slow powder (aa7, AA9, n105, ect). Newer guns seem to have lots of options. My personal favorites so far are IMR 4756, HS6, longshot, and AA9. I was shooting 9 major so the options with powder in the 38super is nice. I was using autocomp, longshot, and silhouette in 9 major.

Use these at your own risk, always start lower and work up using a chrono and looking for pressure signs:

8.6 grains of IMR 4756, 124 grain Berrys thick plated bullet, 1.255 OAL. It's a pain to reload because the powder tends to sling out when the shell plate indexes.

8.9 HS6 same bullet and OAL.

Last edited:
Thanks for guidance guys. I hear good things about HS6 and Autocomp. Not like I can find either right now...anyway, thanks again. Gotta find me a chrony...

Auto comp is good for 9 major but would be far from my first choice for 38 super. Hs6 is a good choice though. Adventure outdoors had a lot of longshot on sat might call down there and see if they have some left. Other than being horribly loud it is a good powder for open guns in 9 major or 38 super.

Back
Top Bottom