Using vinegar to clean brass?

It shouldn't I used white vinegar and dish soap to clean thousands of pieces before I bought a tumbler and never had an issue or saw any signs of the brass failing. I would rinse it off really well and then place on a baking sheet lined with paper towels and set it outside for a few hours shaking it around every hour or so to get the water out of the inside can place it in the oven (without the paper towels) on low heat for a little while to dry it.

X2: Used it for years W/O issue (well, maybe one: it SMELLS!). Actually, it was the only thing (plus soap) that I used for years as Vibra-tumblers
were not available then ....

I recently changed over to Citric Acid which not only cleans, but is self-regulating (stops working when it gets to the actual brass), as well as "passifies" the brass ... which is a really good thing.
GOOGLE it and you will get the entire story. Oh, just don't get it on anything steel ... it will slowly etch a hole in it ... right through blueing!

Citric acid is really good to use and cited above.
Picked up an 8oz container for under 3 bucks at my local tractor supply.
Had been getting it at a local health food store.

You can score some really big points with the wife also.
Works wonders on copper bottom pans.
You can also use it in the dishwasher just like Lemishine.

Tom

Vinegar is very mild, rinse it after cleaning. I was a SCUBA repair technician for some years, we used a light solution of white vinegar and dish soap in the ultrasonics that we cleaned the regulators with during maintenance. 3500 psi regulator is a lot less than 65K psi SAAMI, but I've seen regulators left in overnight and no ill effects.

I use lemon shine to clean range brass them tumble on corn cob. Works great. You can get lemon shine in the dishwasher cleaning section at wally world. It is citric acid based. Wife likes the lemony smell better than vinegar.

I have a tumbler with Walnut and Corn Cob media, but here lately I prefer to fill a Folger's plastic coffee can half way with brass and pour about a 1/3 cup lemon juice (sweet tea kind) and a healthy squirt of Dawn in the mix. I then fill the can up with hot as possible from the tap water and shake like a fool for a few minutes and take a break. Shake again and run cold water in the can till it comes out of the top clear (not sudzy or foamy). Spread an old towel on the hood of my truck in the drive way and they will be clean and dry in about 2-3 hours. I can then do other things while waiting for them to dry. You will be surprised at how clean this method gets your brass. It scrubs off old bullet lube and powder fouling like a champ!

Back
Top Bottom