• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Use of NFA items under a trust

partsman

Default rank <2500 posts Lifetime Supporter
Cowboy Action Shooter
117   0
Reaction score
I am think of taking the plunge and setting up a trust to buy a suppressor before the 41P changes go into effect. Doing the trust through Dean Phillips seem like the way to go for an attorney prepared trust document. His website is fairly user friendly and the order form is straightforward. I do have a couple of non-legal questions that those of you on the ODT might help educate me.

First, it looks like that only the trustee or designated co-trustees can use a suppressor or NFA item under the trust. So, if I have a suppressor I can't let a buddy that is not on the trust join me at the range and fire my gun with the suppressor attached? I am not talking about the item leaving my sight, just letting someone try it out.

Another question, I know that I can swap out the barrel for one that is threaded on a Glock or S&W semi-auto pistol. In that case the threaded barrel will extend beyond the end of the gun so that the suppressor can be attached. How can I use a suppressor on a .22 pistol like a Mark II that does not have a drop in barrel? I know it is possible to thread a barrel but I am unclear how this is done on a gun like a Mark II with a bull barrel.

I am think of taking the plunge and setting up a trust to buy a suppressor before the 41P changes go into effect. Doing the trust through Dean Phillips seem like the way to go for an attorney prepared trust document. His website is fairly user friendly and the order form is straightforward. I do have a couple of non-legal questions that those of you on the ODT might help educate me.

First, it looks like that only the trustee or designated co-trustees can use a suppressor or NFA item under the trust. So, if I have a suppressor I can't let a buddy that is not on the trust join me at the range and fire my gun with the suppressor attached? I am not talking about the item leaving my sight, just letting someone try it out.

Another question, I know that I can swap out the barrel for one that is threaded on a Glock or S&W semi-auto pistol. In that case the threaded barrel will extend beyond the end of the gun so that the suppressor can be attached. How can I use a suppressor on a .22 pistol like a Mark II that does not have a drop in barrel? I know it is possible to thread a barrel but I am unclear how this is done on a gun like a Mark II with a bull barrel.

First question: You may let anyone use the NFA item while in your presence. Your friend would have to be on the trust to take the item to the range without you.

Second question: You would have to get the barrel threaded. I only know of Dobbs Defense AKA Nonliberal on here. I'm not a machinist so I dont know what can and cant be threaded but yea usually you just have to get the barrel threaded.

I too am entering this suppressor world. I read on one of the MANY sites about suppressors, that anyone can shoot your gun, as long as you are with them. Pretty sure that is correct, but someone with more experience will be along shortly to confirm that.

EDIT: See, I told ya!:D

Answer to Q#2

Based upon the video, it looks like the barrel would have to be threaded on the outside which would be a problem with my Ruger Mark II or any bull barrel .22 pistol.
It wouldn't be a problem. The bull barrel is a good thing. You have plenty of material to turn down and still have a good healthy shoulder behind it when you're done. I'm not overly familiar with the Ruger's but the barrel should measure between .625-.750 (or thereabouts) OD if its a bull barrel. My bull barrel was .920" on my 10/22 before I threaded it.

It may be cheaper in the long run to just buy another .22 that already comes with a threaded barrel. I am not sure I want to cut down the bull barrel and move the front sight of my current pistol. Do they make a .22 suppressor that would work for both a .22 rifle and pistol?

It may be cheaper in the long run to just buy another .22 that already comes with a threaded barrel. I am not sure I want to cut down the bull barrel and move the front sight of my current pistol. Do they make a .22 suppressor that would work for both a .22 rifle and pistol?
They do! The Ruger 22/45 lite and they come in several flavors. I don't have one yet but I have shot a couple. They are nice and with all Rugers you can spend more on upgrades than the original cost of the gun.
Your .22 suppressor will work on both rifles and pistols!
download (4).jpg

They do! The Ruger 22/45 lite and they come in several flavors. I don't have one yet but I have shot a couple. They are nice and with all Rugers you can spend more on upgrades than the original cost of the gun.
Your .22 suppressor will work on both rifles and pistols!
View attachment 815304

Yes, I am looking to pick up one of the Ruger 22/45 Lite pistols in red or the special NRA version. I have a Ruger 10-22 Takedown rifle that is new in the box. But since it is not threaded, it looks like I need to also look at getting another takedown that comes with the barrel already threaded. I have some time to get these since it may be several months before I can take the suppressors home.

Back
Top Bottom