• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Type 53 revival.

I'm not sure if you meant me or the op but you quoted me :)

Mine is still a work on progress... I have 3 kids; 1, 2, & 5 so i take an hour here and there after hours when I can.

Its clean head to toe, all old finish is gone, I was left with some cool dark tiger striped wood. Im going to make the thing shine but its slow going!

Damn kids... Just kidding. I love the little jerks.

UPDATE! finally finished up the T53. I was going to Shellac it, but decided to give this stuff a try since this wasn't exactly a historic piece for me. It's a poly stain and coat mix in cabernet, semi gloss. some pics form outside, some inside. I had to sand the hell out of this gun since it was so pitted, and near the butt I think it may have actually had a layer of rotten wood which refused to ever sand smooth. I also had to remove rust from the bolt, so it got polished and is quite shiney compared to the very worn look on the rest of the metal.

i.imgur.com_p6wj5aVl.jpg

i.imgur.com_CxLqckWl.jpg

i.imgur.com_mAxJsmGl.jpg

i.imgur.com_98Y6CTVl.jpg

i.imgur.com_O4XYWHPl.jpg

i.imgur.com_l6bU3rfl.jpg

i.imgur.com_oHrajDOl.jpg

i.imgur.com_nV1WINTl.jpg

Lax. It looks great.

To clean mine I wear good rubber gloves, work outside on a nice day, and use charcoal lighter fluid. Often not more than 8-16 ozs. 1" paint brushes, soft nylon brushes (tooth brush types) are great for getting all surfaces with the lighter fluid washes.

A five gal bucket works to clean the metal parts of cosmoline in one or two washes. Leave it all in the sun to dry, then sand the stock. I finish the wood with steel wool. 0000 or a little less fine depending on the finish.

Tru oil is a great finish too. The wash residue dries to a cosmoline-like sludge. Scrape, bag, and toss

GSU, had my first one this semester yesterday, hence the 4am postings since I didn't sleep.

Boom! Well, good luck with the rest of them. If Patrick Wiseman still teaches property there, tell him to kill himself. He was on loan to Emory from GSU when I went to law school at the former, and he was pretty insufferable.

Boom! Well, good luck with the rest of them. If Patrick Wiseman still teaches property there, tell him to kill himself. He was on loan to Emory from GSU when I went to law school at the former, and he was pretty insufferable.

Holy **** I have his final next monday. He is a pro at putting everyone to sleep, absolutely terrible and I'll never take his classes ever again.

Back
Top Bottom