• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Turning down poundage due to Torn left rotator cuff

tmp469

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
13   0
Reaction score
NEVER MIND#$^#^&$%^&@#$%^ Just heard from MRI have 3.5 cm tear needs fixing(surgery). no activity archery, golf, etc. for 6 months, not a happy man right now, missing another deer season!! I am right handed, and have a mathews DXT with set at around 65-70 lbs. I have a torn left rotator cuff, and cannot pull the bow without excessive pain, and do not want to further injure my shoulder til I can decide when to have repair surgey. Does anyone have an idea how many turns per limb screw it will take to get this bow down to about 50 lbs? Is there any danger of turning too far, and having the bow disintegrate in my hand?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
Tom
<><

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure one full turn is 2.5 lbs. I know that is what it is for my bow, just not 100% if other bows are different or not. I would think 6 to 8 turns would put you where you want to be. Worst case scenario start with four or five and see how it feels.

On my bow, I had to change where the cables hooked into the cam in order to change poundage more than a couple of pounds. If you don't get both screws exactly the same, it loads one limb more than the other and can cause a failure. I am no bow expert, so I took it to a shop, they charged me $5 to change it from 70 lbs. to 55 lbs.

Oops, I forgot to mention to check the specs for your bow and make sure it's capable of being adjusted that far before you do anything to it. I'm pretty sure some bows only allow 10 lbs of adjustment with out changing stuff on the bow. Again, I'm not an expert and could be completely wrong, but whatever you do be careful. Also couldn't hurt to maybe give Mathews customer service a call and ask them.

If you have a 70# bow, it should be marked on the limb it will not safely go down to 50# mathews only has a 10# range on the limbs best bet would be to go to a bow shop and get them to order and install a set of 50# limbs. The bow will destroy its self if you try to turn in down too far and you will be buying new limbs anyway.

Back
Top Bottom