• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tuning a 350 with Edelbrock Carb

Now it sounds like a timing issue....cam maybe a tooth off.
Stock cam or high lift? Rear end ratio?

I do not know what cam is in it, was told it had one, but idles really smoothly at 750rpms so I’m not sure if it does or does not.

Not sure on the rear end, but I’ll check.

I do not know what cam is in it, was told it had one, but idles really smoothly at 750rpms so I’m not sure if it does or does not.

Not sure on the rear end, but I’ll check.

If the cam doesn’t bump at idle, the rear end ratio won’t matter much. Timing could be retarded enough to cause low power. Idle it up, advance the distributor( clockwise ) until you get the highest, smooth RPM’s. Start there, If it’s hard to start when it’s hot or pings, back it down a bit.

Nice truck....fer a chevie! lol I do like that generation as they are nice looking trucks.

I was thinking of a vacuum advance issue as others have mentioned. Do you have another carb to try on it as a double check?

I have two and can swap them out to check things.

Swapped carbs...samething
Moved timing around and checked firing order....samething.
Look for a plugged exhaust, burnt valve, or...whoever set the cam in could be off a tooth, retarded. Had this happen on a 440 years ago, pulled cover and set straight up then ran pretty good. If I remember right it died off throttle, then ran kinda okay. Could also have jumped a tooth, either way check the cam timing.

Has it got a good bright spark? Good cap and rotor ? Good connection to the coil ? Lighter springs on the distributor weights would help it rev better and earlier. How much vacuum at idle ? It the timing cover pointer in the right spot.

Back
Top Bottom