• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tundra or F150? Need opinions....from those that actually own them

Tundra or F150?

• Tundra 4X4 TRD Crew Cab 5.7L V8 FFV

Votes: 38 70.4%
  • F-150 4X4 FX4 XLT SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost V6

Votes: 16 29.6%

• Total voters
Yes, console shift.

That's a nice feature
Anytime I wasn't driving on the interstate I'd lean the shifter to the left notch and that limited it to 4th gear
Designed for towing , but I liked it on smaller roads where you didn't get over 45-50 mph
Plus then you can judge it forward or back to shift it manually

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you haven't noticed yet
When you use the key to unlock the door
You turn it to the right , easiest for right handed people , turn it once and it unlocks the driver door , turn it twice and it unlocks all the doors
It's little stuff like his that the big three just can't seem to grasp
That make Japanese designed vehicles feel like you're getting something nice and well
Thought out

Although the oil filter on the tundra was designed by a moron

If you haven't noticed yet
When you use the key to unlock the door
You turn it to the right , easiest for right handed people , turn it once and it unlocks the driver door , turn it twice and it unlocks all the doors
It's little stuff like his that the big three just can't seem to grasp
That make Japanese designed vehicles feel like you're getting something nice and well
Thought out

Although the oil filter on the tundra was designed by a moron

I type my door code. Unlocks the driver door. Hit 3/4 following my code and it unlocks all my doors. May not be a key but it's the same feature and just as easy. It was the same on my 2006.

IMG_2969.JPG
(Sorry for the flag. This pic was after a strong storm. the flag was fixed and led light properly aimed)
Tundra sr5 crewman 4x4trd off-road. I average 14-15mpg if I drive it
Carefully I can get 17 mpg. I drive mixed highway and very light city traffic. I can tell you what like and don't about my tundra.

Pros very spacious, great towing, good power, looks. Resale value

Cons: stiff suspension but it is a 4x4 still rides rough in my opinion
The split driveshaft does cause some vibrations at certain speeds,
The sr5 model with xp rims in my openion does NOT have hub centric rims.
If not installed properly wheel shake will happen.
The FFV 5.7 has loud injectors the thing sounds like a diesel sometimes. Loud interior , paint easily scratches. Lack of sway bar

I did not get the fully loaded tundra so some of the cons might be solved with going premium. In my opinion the f150 drives more like a car while the tundra drives like a truck. The 5.7 is tried and true the twin turbo can cause issues as millage goes up.

View attachment 1105709
(Sorry for the flag. This pic was after a strong storm. the flag was fixed and led light properly aimed)
Tundra sr5 crewman 4x4trd off-road. I average 14-15mpg if I drive it
Carefully I can get 17 mpg. I drive mixed highway and very light city traffic. I can tell you what like and don't about my tundra.

Pros very spacious, great towing, good power, looks. Resale value

Cons: stiff suspension but it is a 4x4 still rides rough in my opinion
The split driveshaft does cause some vibrations at certain speeds,
The sr5 model with xp rims in my openion does NOT have hub centric rims.
If not installed properly wheel shake will happen.
The FFV 5.7 has loud injectors the thing sounds like a diesel sometimes. Loud interior , paint easily scratches. Lack of sway bar

I did not get the fully loaded tundra so some of the cons might be solved with going premium. In my opinion the f150 drives more like a car while the tundra drives like a truck. The 5.7 is tried and true the twin turbo can cause issues as millage goes up.
I agree with nearly all of this.

I have 1,200 miles on the ODO and love it greatly. It does have a more firm ride, and agreed, the F150 is more car like. The FX4's I test drove seem to bounce a tad too much though, felt very soft for a 4WD truck.

I also agree about the XP wheels. I was nearly stuck only wanting an XP package TRD CrewMax, but after driving it with the 20"s, I did not like it. Noticeable vibration at highway speeds, the ride on my 18"'s are much better. The extra side wall, and possible correct fitment make them super smooth.

My biggest complaint about the Tundra would be no under rear seat storage. They make a kit to add 3 trays, but you have to cut the floor insulation and carpet. Other than that, I have no gripes about it.

Hey Wallace- any updates after owning it for 8 months? The F150 2016 I bought (In april this year) with eco boost, no issues so far (A tad under 21,000miles). Ive hauled lumber, rocks, towed my large camper 400plus miles. I average 22-24 mpg commuting to work.

Around 12-15mpg when towing the camper.

I wish I went with a console shift. Everything else has been great.

I've had my tundra 7 months and have racked up 15k so far. She rides great and I don't miss my f350 a bit. Most I've towed is 6k (trailer and jeep Comanche) for 150 miles, the tundra pulled just as well as my diesel f350.... maybe a little smoother with the 6 speed. Cruise control on, 65mph on hwy 41 and 75mph on i75. I didn't track mileage with towing but I would guess it to be around 10mpg.

Around town is 13mpg with spirited driving, fiberglass top and at least 500lbs in the bed at all times.

My dad's 2009 gmc 1500 needed an engine at 150k. He drove it to the Toyota dealership and traded it in on a 2018 sr5.... he's driven nothing but gm for the past 20 years and is loving the tundra.

Back
Top Bottom