• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tula large pistol primers...

Egghead

Default rank <1500 posts
Jet Doctor
73   0
Reaction score
Anyone had any experience with tula lg pistol primers? Got 1k from a buddy that owed me some money. I've only used CCI 300 and WLP. If they're worth keeping I'll load em this weekend.

Had a few light strikes shooting in my g30. That's all i can attest to. I still use em for my plinking loads when I can get a good deal on em

Hey man,, no judgment here. We gotta keep shooting so we gotta pay to keep shooting. As for the light strikes, I had less than 10 out of 1000. Still, cci for my carry rounds

FWIW

From what I have read ... the TULA's have slightly "shorter legs" on the slightly-thicker cups and need to be seated well in order to work.
Most seemed to have no problem when using something like a Lee Hand Priming tool ... The majority of problems seem to occur with progressive
loading presses ...

Thanks for the heads up. I'll load some tonight and let you know how they work at the range tomorrow. Btw I'll be using a progressive press.

Please let us know how they work for yoou!
I have 1k of them that I bought simply because that's all that I could find.
I have used their Small Rifle Magnum Primers for 5.56 / .223 loading and they haven't given the first problem.
I will add that I don't like the accompanying problems with primers that most progressive presses seem to have.
The least amount of debris, power spill seems too muck them up and require a dis-assembly, cleaning and reassembly.
So, I normally hand prime all the cases prior to feeding them into the progressive.
It's a mindless chore that improves my grip and makes the progressive process trouble-free

An added benefit of hand priming (I use the Lee Classice Hand Priming Tool), you also get a feel for when the primer pocket is
getting too large for further use of the case.

Last edited:
FWIW

From what I have read ... the TULA's have slightly "shorter legs" on the slightly-thicker cups and need to be seated well in order to work.
Most seemed to have no problem when using something like a Lee Hand Priming tool ... The majority of problems seem to occur with progressive
loading presses ...

This was exactly my experiance. Nothing wrong with them if you know this, and seat them properly. I had several light strikes in the first few hundered I loaded. Once we figured out what was going on, the rest were fine. They are not my preference because of this, but Id buy them again, not a big deal.

Fellas, got to the range this weekend and am happy to report no issues. Loaded about 300 and shot 250ish. All cycled with no problems in various 1911's and one revolver. Looking through my notes, didn't notice any weird smells or anything like that either.

Ar bunker down in Newnan had these for 38.00 plus tax limit two per person.

Back
Top Bottom