• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tub/shower to walk in shower conversion

gh1950

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
105   0
Reaction score
I want to convert your basic tub/shower FG crapola unit to a walk in shower.

I've had people from national companies come out, and they start at about $9k and go up.

I'm just not seeing it.

I know the cost of everything has gone through the roof, but hey, I can watch You Tube, too, and I just don't see that much in the cost.

What's a ball park figure for a reputable local company to do this?

Shouldn’t be that much. With larger reputable companies they will want to have plans drawn up and submit permits which is about 2-3k just for that. If you do it with out that it’s much less. If your not changing the plumbing that makes it even cheaper. We did this for $2700 plus materials.

Attachments

• 41540AAF-B650-41C5-892D-0342FA34A6CC.jpeg
    41540AAF-B650-41C5-892D-0342FA34A6CC.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 81
I did mine myself. The type of tile you choose played a huge part in costs. There no way to ball park it without knowing what materials you use. Some of what you're paying for is liability. If it leaks you have to take everything out and try again. You're supposed to move the plumbing. Drain should be in the center tubs are on the end. Thats much harder on a slab. All in all there's no standard pricing. This isn't a good one to go cheap on. It can mess up a lot of stuff if it goes wrong

Sadly, sounds about right. Pre-covid we had quotes to rip out existing shower and install a Kohler system (pan and walls. The quotes were $10K+. I ended up doing the entire bathroom myself for $3-$4K (new everything). The thing that worried me is that Kohler recommended letting thing dry for 3 days, and all contractors said they could be done in 2 days!

Check with Christian Roofing and Remodeling in Athens. They arent the cheapest but they do exceptional work. I've been one of their subs for 12 plus years.
I've used Christian in the past, but it's changed hands, Got an estimate from them for some repair work, and it was out of sight. Million dollar homes going up in Oconee County have given a lot of local folks delusions of grandeur.

Back
Top Bottom