• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

True cost of becoming a teacher

superprime

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
18   1
Reaction score
I just have to vent for a few minutes. My wife had a career before she decided to become a teacher. She took some time off when our daughter was born to be a stay at home mom. It worked for a while being 1 income. I was making good money as a production supervisor and we were very happy. The plant I worked at downsized and that left me scrambling, and I had to take various other jobs making less money. So when my daughter went back to school, my wife decided to get her teaching certificate. She already has a BS and MS in Counseling, so she just needed the certificate. We took out some student loans and she was awarded some scholarships and grants to help pay for it all.

She kept a 4.0 for the 2 years to get the certificate and was awarded a job almost immediately at a local city school. This has turned out to be one of the worst decisions we have made as a family.

We spent about $3,000 of our own money before she ever received a paycheck getting her room in order. She had a desk, a computer, and the kids desks, and that was basically it. Posters, teaching supplies, cleaning supplies, extra seating, decorations, a working printer we paid for all out of pocket. We knew that going into it, its no secret teachers pay for most of their own supplies.

One might think that teaching hours are pretty good, and maybe for some they are, but not here. She has to be at work by 7:00 AM, no big deal a lot of jobs require that. Her day is technically over at 3:15, but with only a 30 min planning period, the time after school is spent planning for the next day. She usually gets out around 4:30, again not a huge deal 9.5 hours is the work day for a lot of people. They eat lunch in the classroom due to COVID, so by the time they get their lunch from the cafeteria, get back to the classroom, and she assists with opening milks (they are little kids), and the assorted pouches the bring from home, and then clean up, she rarely if ever eats. We usually spend a partial weekend day at the school getting ready for the next week, along with most nights grading or creating something. I help when and where I can. She has started taking prescribed adderal to help get more time out of the day.

The administration at this school is a joke, the principal couldn't lead their way out of a paperbag. They (I am not using proper pronouns to protect my wife), bow down to the parents and blame everything on the teachers. A parent called today during teaching hours, in the middle of a lesson, and the secretary forwarded the call to the in room phone. They wanted a conference next week. My wife already has 17 scheduled for that day and couldn't give her time that second, you know, because she was doing her job. The parent then went to the principal and complained that she was being rude and unwelcoming to her request. My wife then gets brought into his office and gets told she probably just isn't a good fit for this school. She can't quit because the school system will sue her for breach of contract and will pull her license to teach. Most days she comes home in tears or near tears and goes straight to bed. The plan has been to get to the end of the year and quit so I can move to 1st shift and she goes back to stay at home mom duties and possibly subs. I worry she won't make it that long.

I don't see why anyone would go into the profession at this point in history. Little pay, little resources, little respect. Sorry for venting, but there is no one else I can talk about this with.

My wife was a 2nd grade teacher for many years before going into the administration side. Went from assistant principal, principal, curriculum director, assistant superintendent to superintendent of our school district. In total 31 years in the school system. She loved most of those years and gave many nights and weekends away to the school children she loved. And like your wife, when the top administration was terrible she came home many nights in tears which is one reason she decided to go for the superintendent position. The backing of a great school board that had no other agenda than to put the children first was what led to her and the school districts success and turn around. Lots of sleepless nights and dealing with issues (mostly parents and teachers) till midnight or later and she can say she has had a great career and is respected by 99% of the teachers and parents. Yes we have spent a lot of our own money in 31 years in her classroom. She would tell you it was worth every penny. Now both of our children are teachers and for the most part love their jobs. Most teachers will tell you the parents are the problem not the kids. To many parents want to be their child’s friend instead of their parent. If she can hang in there for a couple years and get her curriculum plan in place then it should get easier. It has definitely been bad for teachers over the last couple of years especially with all of the know it all parents that have never been in the classroom that can do it better than the teacher can. My wife is now retired (partially anyway) and doesn’t regret anything about her long career. Just my 2 cents.

My wife started out after college as a special needs teacher (same as her mom before she retired). She did the whole signed contract thing too but due to the working conditions (had way more students in her class than allowed and ended up with most of the behavior disorder kids vs. the learning disorder kids) she did it all by herself too. No assistant (also required for larger classes with special needs kids) once it was clear she was just getting the behavior problem kids dumped on her and being told a couple of times “I’m gonna kill your ass”, she quit. She wrote her resignation letter and included how the school had actually broke their side of the contract. They never once said another word about her being penalized for breaking her contract. That was 32 years ago. Best decision ever.

My bride is a teacher too… don’t see why anyone would want to do it unless they were called to do and love it… low pay, long hours, and parents are the worst now… most parents don’t really expect their kids to get an education. They just want their kids out of their hair for most of the day… and most blame the teacher when the kids fail. Sadly, most going into education now seem to have an agenda to indoctrinate kids rather than educate kids and feel it is a crusade to mold the next generation into the worst sort of mush headed liberal imaginable.

My wife teaches freshman in high school(math). She comes home most days telling me how lazy and disrespectful the kids are. She’s also getting her masters, she’ll be done in May. Luckily she’s in a good district and has a great boss. Honestly I think most teachers deal with exactly what you mentioned, long hours, ****ty pay, and a system that doesn’t help its teachers at all. Tell her to keep grinding and maybe search for a good district or school.

So how's that summer thing work for teachers?

Are they paid during the summer?

Never understood how that worked.

My wife's been a teacher in Gwinnett for over 20 years. It's gone to heck during that time. The school system's a joke, you should see how they waste our tax dollars, as are many of the teachers. The politics stink. A lot of the parents don't care, their kid's always perfect, teachers are always wrong. There's no discipline any more and she spends money we need elsewhere on their ungrateful brats.

I'm not bitter about it or anything like that, but she was a senior trainer for American Airlines before switching, free flights and she could have been long retired from them by now, if she'd stayed.

So how's that summer thing work for teachers?

Are they paid during the summer?

Never understood how that worked.
Most of them are taking some sort of course to keep or improve their certificate.

Then they have two weeks "planning" on each end of the school year.

or they are teaching summer school for a few extra bucks.

Back
Top Bottom