• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tricky GWL questions

Van-man

Default rank <2000 posts
Space Cowboy
26   0
Reaction score
One of my best friends from high school has been afraid for years to get his georgia weapons license. Back in 2003 he got TWO misdemeanor possession of marijuana charges in one weekend. He pled nolo to one; And was convicted / served probation for the other. He hasnt goten as much as a speeding ticket since he had kids, but is still worried. We both looked it up but were both a little confused . There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. Any help would be appreciated gents.

I'm not sure what he's afraid of. His sentences were over 10 years ago and the charges/punishment have been completed correct? I'm pretty sure he's all set to go. Does he have an outstanding warrant or something that is making him scared?

He is fine. He can no longer be denied his carry permit based on misd. drug convictions, FO pleas or nolo. Just have him attach a copy of all of his disposition paperwork with his application. He will have no issues.

He is fine. He can no longer be denied his carry permit based on misd. drug convictions, FO pleas or nolo. Just have him attach a copy of all of his disposition paperwork with his application. He will have no issues.

Probably not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's even necessary. I'm pretty sure after 5 years the charges are not considered anymore. If it was 11 years ago it's pretty much erroneous to a GWL application.

Probably not a bad idea, but I'm not sure it's even necessary. I'm pretty sure after 5 years the charges are not considered anymore. If it was 11 years ago it's pretty much erroneous to a GWL application.

This is to prevent an issue or delay if GCIC or NCIC hasn't been updated or there is conflicting info. Better safe than sorry.

This is to prevent an issue or delay if GCIC or NCIC hasn't been updated or there is conflicting info. Better safe than sorry.

Yea I agree. I was just making mention that something from 11 years ago is erroneous, so he should be just fine. But better to be safe than sorry is never bad advice.

I'm not sure what he's afraid of. His sentences were over 10 years ago and the charges/punishment have been completed correct? I'm pretty sure he's all set to go. Does he have an outstanding warrant or something that is making him scared?

No, legally he's all good. I think where the fear is coming from is that he loves firearms so much he's just afraid of messing it up for himself in any way. His fear is illogical I know . What was confusing us both was : 1 does nolo count. And 2: does a second conviction bar you for life or 5 more years ?

No, legally he's all good. I think where the fear is coming from is that he loves firearms so much he's just afraid of messing it up for himself in any way. His fear is illogical I know . What was confusing us both was : 1 does nolo count. And 2: does a second conviction bar you for life or 5 more years ?

Gotcha. Hey, we all have our hangups.

1. I believe the last I heard, no lo will not hang him up;
2. I've never heard of such thing. It's on your record for 5 years as long as you don't have any felonies.

Ok, so we were probably going by old info.

Back
Top Bottom