• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Trail camera suggestions

Dogtown Darren

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
287   0
Reaction score
Mods, feel free to move this if general discussion isn't the right place for this. I looked on the Trail Camera board, and it looked like just pics.

Anyhow, the title says it all. I've researched them on Amazon, but dang, it's confusing. One person swears by one, the next person hates it.

Looking to spend $150 or less. It will be on private property, so while theft can of course happen, it's unlikely. Would like color pics both day and night, and a 10 second video option. Other than that, I'm not picky about the brand name and all that jazz.

Also, any tips would be most appreciated.

i will tell you that the ones that use the 8 - 12 AA batteries last way longer than the C cell battery cams.

Bushnell trophy cam HD can be had for that price range as well.

this is the order of things i consider when i look for new ones

1. Battery life <--- this to me is the most important factor. i don't want to have to spend $100 a year on batteries
2. Trigger speed <----time it takes motion to activate
3. picture quality <------picture quality is not at the top of my list because if the batteries are dead or it doesnt trigger fast enough, you wont get a picture anyway
4. any other feature you would like it to have.

Last edited:
if you want color night time pics, you're going to have to look for an old school regular flash cam and those can be found for about $50 on ebay.....look for the old wildgame innovations cams.....battery life on those though is about 2-3 weeks

also, i dont know of any that take color night pics and does video.....if you want video, you'll have to settle for B&W night pics

Last edited:
1. Battery life <--- this to me is the most important factor. i don't want to have to spend $100 a year on batteries
3. picture quality <------picture quality is not at the top of my list because if the batteries are dead or it doesnt trigger fast enough, you wont get a picture anyway

Your list ranks just like mine. I don't want to find out that I missed a week's worth of photos b/c of a dead battery.
Thanks!

i'm currently running a stealth cam unit ops, so far i've been happy. looking to pick up a covert mp6-black this week to put out over the weekend.

i will tell you that the ones that use the 8 - 12 AA batteries last way longer than the C cell battery cams.

Bushnell trophy cam HD can be had for that price range as well.

this is the order of things i consider when i look for new ones

:nod: I agree with pinky 100%

I've been using wild game innovation trail cams. I think ones a 6mp and the others a 8mp. Here's a day and night pic with them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 12
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 13
Here's a example of the old school flash he's talking about that shows color at night. This is a molutrie 5mp camera.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 10
Hunter4life:Where did you buy your camera? And how much? That daytime pic is awesome! The colors look great!

Black/white at night would be good enough.

There's just so many choices, it's confusing...and I'm from Alabama, it don't take much to rock the apple cart! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom