• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Trail Cam Review: Stealth Cam Unit Ops No Glow U840IRNG

the_great_white

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
122   0
Reaction score
I received this camera for Christmas and didn't get around to putting it out until May 4th. Went back to check it on June 10 and it was off......maybe i didn't turn it on properly or something, who knows. Leave it set up and return on July 2nd, and alas, I have pictures! The day and night picture quality are good! After reviewing the pictures I realize that the temperature stamp could vary 10 degrees or more from one picture to the next within a minute and the camera was not properly detecting like it should .....maybe I have it at a bad angle? So I reposition it and depart. Return again on July 21 and have even fewer pictures than I had the first time. Open the unit to find water inside and the internal LCD not functioning properly and cannot enter the menus.....no bueno.....bring it home and it dries out and I put a few sets of batteries in it and to no avail.

I call Stealth Cam Customer service and explain to them what's happening and they informed me to do a "Hard Restart" and if I still had problems to call them back. I played with it for 2 more days and was still having issues. The internal LCD came back to life and I could once again use the menu, but the detection circuit was still not operating properly. It would not trigger unless I was 12' or less directly in front of the sensor and moved around a great deal.

I call Stealth Cam back and speak with the customer service agent I had spoken to previously and once she got "The Manager's" approval issued me a warranty return authorization. Now I'm out almost $9 shipping and have to wait 4-6 WEEKS for a REFURBISHED replacement.

In my opinion, I was expecting much more from a camera that was $169. 2 1/2 months in the field and only 110 pictures, maybe, before failure. I would not purchase another one personally. I did like that it had an 8MP camera and a nylon strap to secure it, I'm unsure about battery life because it wasn't out for very long, and I do wish it had a spot to run a cable lock through it.

The customer service people were courteous and helpful, I will give them that, but I am disappointed in the turn around time on replacing it.

I hope my replacement is better than this one was.......

But as I said, the picture quality was good, when it would take one. Here is a sample day and night picture:
SUNP0032.jpg
SUNP0021.jpg

Last edited:
UPDATE: Received the replacement unit today. Will update in a few weeks with new performance info once I've had a chance to test the new one. It's a slightly different model, but has the same features and appears to be an update to the one I had to return. I hope to be able to get it out this weekend. Stay tuned............lol

Back
Top Bottom