Tourist submarine on expedition to Titanic wreck goes missing

A former submarine expert explained what this might be like. Dave Corley, a retired Navy Captain, said:

"When a submarine hull collapses, it moves inward at about 1,500 miles per hour - that’s 2,200 feet per second.

"A modern nuclear submarine’s hull radius is about 20 feet. So the time required for complete collapse is 20 / 2,200 seconds = about 1 millisecond. A human brain responds instinctually to the stimulus at about 25 milliseconds. Human rational response is at best 150 milliseconds.

"The air inside a sub has a fairly high concentration of hydrocarbon vapors. When the hull collapses it behaves like a very large piston on a very large Diesel engine. The air auto-ignites and an explosion follows the initial rapid implosion Sounds gruesome but as a submariner I always wished for a quick hull-collapse death over a lengthy one like some of the crew on Kursk endured.

Now Boeing is coming out and say they never worked with Oceangate on the Titan.

UW is saying first they never worked with Oceangate but had a contract letting them use their facilities: "While OceanGate used testing tanks at the UW School of Oceanography for nine tests between 2016 and 2022, it was on a contract basis without any assistance from university researchers." They were also working on a previous design rated for much lower depths, and they dissolved their partnership after doing 600k of a potential 5 million contract.

NASA is now saying they were consulted on materials science and manufacturing processes but wasn't actually involved in the testing design or manufacturing.

I'm sure some of this is CYA but at best this guy was super over representing expert involvement in his ****ty little death trap, and at worst intentionally lying to potential customers and investors. I'm surprised CBS didnt actually investigate these claims before they let their reporter get in it last year.

Everyone is CYA'ing. Just in from the Oceangate cafeteria vendor: "Yes, we were contracted to make sandwiches for them, but we never made lunches for use at those depths."

OIP.0YC0QGqituIZSnDOwb6v6AHaHa

Back
Top Bottom