• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Tough decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not an expert nor do I play one on tv.

Round: 7.62x39 for ballistics and availability of supply.

Platform: PTR 32

PTR32.jpg

Good luck with your decision...

To try and pick one rifle to “do it all” and disregard a perfectly viable, popular, easy to maintain platform because you don’t personally like it is putting the criteria in the wrong order.

One of the beauties of the AR platform is the ability to swap calibers/barrel lengths in literally seconds; push two captive pins, remove old upper, drop on new upper, push two captive pins.

Go from a door-kicking, suppressed 8” .300Blk to a 1,000yd scoped 6.5 Grendel in seconds. Since optics remain on the upper, they maintain zero when that upper is swapped on and off, or swapped to another lower.

Throw aside personal prejudice and choose the best tool for the task. I’ll admit that Glock is not my favorite handgun, but it’s the one that I use the most, and recommend most often. My personal prejudices and complaints aside, it is a ruggedly simple design, easy to repair and modify/upgrade, is highly supported, enviably reliable, accurate, and able to be maintained indefinitely with a minimum of special tools or skills. The AR can also be described with this same criteria.
^^^ THIS ^^^

Get over your dislike of the AR platform and get the right tool.

I’d suggest borrowing/shooting several different platforms. Be sure to try some you don’t think you will like.
Like cmshoot cmshoot you may find that one “shoots” more naturally to you than another you may find more appealing. From personal experience I discovered some of my most desired guns didn’t shoot well for me.

Hello everyone,
I'm at work just trying to keep up with all of the replies, thanks for all of your input!

Seen a couple of people mention the Ruger American and Mini-14 which are definitely on my radar... Maybe one of each, in that case I would go 300.

Then I see a lot of the cases being made to just go AR, and you definitely have made some good ones! If I did go AR route I wouldn't be interested in 5.56, someone mentioned "beefiness" which is exactly what I prefer. But I do understand the argument of switching uppers and that would be huge.

Also seen a couple shoutouts to just go .308 / 7.62nato. Honestly, that is the caliber I wanted at first, but prices seem to be running away and the availability ain't what it used to be, at least from the sources I like to purchase from. Seems a lot of extra power and range that I won't really use anyways. Maybe you'll change my mind?

Lastly, someone mentioned domestic availability of the 300, which I much prefer. Seems like supply of cheap 7.62 could dry up at any moment, but then hell, maybe you could say that about the American made stuff too.

Leaning towards 300 right now, but I'm open to hear more about my AR options...

It would pain me to see your decision-making process for buying a car!

x39 is not much better than a 1 trick pony. You are also limited in ammo selection. Mostly super cheap, steel-cased foreign crap made for AK's manufactured for the intentions of making loud noises and accuracy by volume . Quality hunting and match type rounds do exist, but few and far between and not cheap when you do find them. Subs are even more difficult to find.

300blk- good options for both supers and subs. Not cheap to buy factory, but not overly painful either. On par(ish) with 308. I'm not a 300blk fanboy by any stretch, but it does serve some specific niche roles very well.

x39 nor 300blk are not long range rounds. Intermediate at best.

To the 308 crowd, you aren't necessarily wrong, but you aren't right either. Gotta go larger action. More weight of gun and ammo. Then you get more options to consider as well - a big one being 6.5 CM. 8.6 Blackout would be an option as well. Yes - subs exist for 308 win, but that's a lot of wasted terminal ballistics potential and availability is lacking. Best to load your own, but OP doesn't want to roll his own.

If planning on shooting suppressed, minimum barrel length rating really need to be taken into account for the supporessor you own. Can typically get away with a much shorter 300blk barrel than a 308, and 300blk is designed with short barrels in mind, if barrel length is a concern for the OP. Most 45 pistol cans today can take 300blk sub pressures as well.

OP - as others have stated, there is no "do all" gun and cartridge. Figure out what you want to do with this specific gun, and go from there. AR platform offers the most versatility, but there are still restrictions. If you want to truly shoot "long range," then step into a short action like 308, 6.5cm, 6cm, so on and so forth.

I agree that if subsonic performance through a suppressed weapon is very high on your list of requirements,

and yet you will not be a handloader,

and ammo cost and availability are big concerns for you,

then your cartridge would have to be the 300 AAC blackout.

I'd learn to like that platform,
especially keeping in mind how you can customize it: different stock sets,
different barrel weights,
different optics and sighting systems, different triggers, etc.

I've always thought a good all-around multipurpose rifle that includes suppressed use but has a non-tactical non-paramilitary look would be a pump action or slide action 44 magnum/44 special that has a fast twist rifling in the barrel to properly stabilize bullets up to 400 grains.

Lot's of good choices in an AR 15 type. This article does not cover all of them, but it's a good place to start.

And remember, all you have to change out is the upper to take advantage of any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom