• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Toomey - Manchin Compromise

PnutFarmer

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
22   0
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I'm interested to learn more about what this legislative concept would mean in practice. Any thoughts?

What online sales are they going after with background checks? I don't think I've ever seen a site that didn't require shipment to an FFL.

What about the "friends and neighbors" exception? What is a private, non-commercial transaction? Are we all (as Georgians) neighbors?

I don't mean to kick a hornets nest of anger here. I presume most if not all of us would have similar views on the topic in general. Just thought I'd ask around.

Part of me thinks this would only affect gun shows - a few folks who get tables who aren't dealers would just sit around the hot dogs with their inventory instead of renting a table.

NonEvent? Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

I'm interested to learn more about what this legislative concept would mean in practice. Any thoughts?

What online sales are they going after with background checks? I don't think I've ever seen a site that didn't require shipment to an FFL.

What about the "friends and neighbors" exception? What is a private, non-commercial transaction? Are we all (as Georgians) neighbors?

I don't mean to kick a hornets nest of anger here. I presume most if not all of us would have similar views on the topic in general. Just thought I'd ask around.

Part of me thinks this would only affect gun shows - a few folks who get tables who aren't dealers would just sit around the hot dogs with their inventory instead of renting a table.

NonEvent? Thanks.

Is the actual language in the bill public? I read the press release, and it said "The new bill would expand checks to nearly every gun transaction except for some private sales and transfers among relatives."

If its friends and relatives, then business as usual. If its relatives, then its FFL for all deals, unless you related. Devil is in the details.

Whatever it is, its incrementalism, another baby step towards more gun control.

I did see that the announcement included expanded rights for carrying over state lines when travelling, thats a good thing.

Is the actual language in the bill public? I read the press release, and it said "The new bill would expand checks to nearly every gun transaction except for some private sales and transfers among relatives."

If its friends and relatives, then business as usual. If its relatives, then its FFL for all deals, unless you related. Devil is in the details.

Whatever it is, its incrementalism, another baby step towards more gun control.

I did see that the announcement included expanded rights for carrying over state lines when travelling, thats a good thing.

It is my understanding that the "Private Non-Commercial" relates to relatives gifting or inheriting weapons from relatives. What if I put into my will that my guns go to a non-relative?
I do believe there are a few transactions generated from this forum that today do not use any background check.... This is another "loop hole" they are trying to plug. But I guess this will fall under the "private sale" area....
What is meant by "private sale" ? Is there a definition? ... I am reading as between private citizens.. vs Dealers? What about C&R transactions?
aaaahhhhhh!!!!

Last edited:
If the rumors are true, it's almost genius.
- First, they claim that 40% of gun transfers happen without background checks.
- Then, they pass a law that changes absolutely nothing.
- Finally, they use the correct figure for the percentage of legal private transfers (I heard 4%).
Bam, they reduced unchecked transfers by 90%!

We really won't know anything until we can read it. The media can't be trusted to get the details right because they don't understand private sales to begin with.

I hope everybody here will enjoy meeting at an FFL and doing a transfer every time they buy, sell, or trade a gun advertised on this site, because this is exactly what this bill will do.
Only sales initiated solely by word of mouth are exempt from FFL transfers for FTF transactions. If you put it on the internet, you're gonna need to transfer it though an FFL.

Thanks for the replies. It was very cool to see the ODT founder in the dialogue.

I couldn't agree more that the devil is in the details. I spent all day wondering if there was some sub-cultural online gun sale site ("gatster?") that I was just oblivious to.

I don't believe the actual language of the bill has been made public. I did watch the press conference today and there was mention of the detail still being worked out. Most of what you'll find on the internet is probably partisan hogwash on both sides seeing as how early this is in being drafted. This link here from Twitchy appeared to have some respectable level of detail.

http://twitchy.com/2013/04/10/whats-inside-the-manchin-toomey-background-check-proposal/

I am really hoping this all amounts to nothing. The side who created the monstrosity/hyperbole of "the gun show loophole" gets to close it in some feel good legislation. Taming a paper tiger.

I hope everybody here will enjoy meeting at an FFL and doing a transfer every time they buy, sell, or trade a gun advertised on this site, because this is exactly what this bill will do.
Only sales initiated solely by word of mouth are exempt from FFL transfers for FTF transactions. If you put it on the internet, you're gonna need to transfer it though an FFL.

^^^This is how I interpreted the "compromise" based on what has been released so far. Time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom