• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Tips for looking for a first job in firearms

Childers

Default rank <1500 posts
ODT Junkie!
62   0
Reaction score
Hey y'all, I'm a business student at Kennesaw State. I keep going back and forth on how I feel about this. I don't really have any interest in it, but I "need a degree". I don't know where I would fall into this career-wise. I have always been extremely passionate about the outdoors and firearms. I'm also looking for a new job. Hopefully something I can grow into and keep me motivated with college. I currently work with cars and have for the past five or six years. It's time for a change and improve mtn in pay. After all college isn't cheap and I need money to date and so on. What I'm asking for is some insight or reccomendations to where I can get my foot in the door. I saw that Glock was hiring for a few positions. I will be applying there. What are some good ways to get my foot in the door?

What interests you? Sales, manufacturing, gunsmithing? Maybe a YouTuber doing reviews or just blowing crap up?
Sales and manufacturing. Being a youtuber doesn't sound like a real job but if it pays... I dont have private land that I can shoot on so that's out of the question.

get on linked in , they send you job offers tailored to your interests/ experience/ college/ degree/ etc!!
I set one up last week. I'm very new to it but I'm in the process of building my connections and filling it out. The job searching I have not quite gotten down.

Do you have student loan debt?
Sadly, yes I do

Here's how ya do it, go into your local gun store, Frequently, very frequently. Get to know guns on every platform, just don't ask to handle ALL of them and never buy, then you'll be the Annoying Customer when you walk through the door, instead ask questions when you see one that you're not familiar with. Hang out at the store a little longer, show your face, showing face creates familiarity.
While you're frequently visiting the store, get friendly with the staff. Once you're on first name basis, bring in some doughnuts, cookies and create a warm relationship, talk football, baseball etc.
Then once you know the staff, seek out opportunities as they're talked about, buddy is always late to work or someone's leaving the company etc.
Then make your move in conversation with the appropriate person.
I know a guy who started at a local gun shop, later got hired with Sig, left Sig and created his own brand and took Sig people with him Lol.
But a KEY piece of knowledge, Make sure you Never, EVER destroy your hard labor and look like an idiot and Un-holster a loaded firearm during discussion or purchases. That's one quick way to spread Negativity against your name and face, Big No-No.
Always have gun in case, slide open etc when showing it to someone for trade, buy, sell etc.
Because when you're Un-holstering, No one knows if it's truly loaded or unloaded, ...it just looks bad and scares people.
Hope that helps and Good Luck :thumb:

14231797_1085548818147694_5286148770482771301_o.jpg

Have you considered military service? You can join the military as an armorer. Depending on the unit, this will give you lots of exposure to several different types of weapons, especially ones that you would most likely have very limited access to as a civilian. The military can help you pay off those student loans. And, since you have at least some college, you will most likely start out at a higher rank than people without college, and that means more money for you right from the start. Unless you have completed your degree, you won't be an officer. But, you can go in as an E-2 or E-3. If you remain stateside, you might even be able to complete your college degree while in service. After your first enlistment period, if you decide that military life is not right for you, at least being an armorer should help with getting a job in the private sector in a gun related industry.

Back
Top Bottom