• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

time to cut my losses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swampbuck62

Default rank <3500 posts
ODT Junkie!
10   0
Reaction score
might be time to stop the bleeding , I have be hemorrhaging money ever since I bought this old truck

Now we have an over heat issue with AC on and a small coolent leak The leak is actually more on top behind the t stat housing where about 4 hoses all tie into the front of eng and housing. Not sure I want to put another dime in the truck...

I am getting a rattle from the top of eng I thought was pre-ignition under hard acceleration, but we set timing correctly and it still does it.. sounds sort of like diesel rattle so possibly valve train issue..

also still needs a transmission..soon

might be time to cut my losses and dump it trying to lose as little as possible..

my other option is to forge on and drop a good reman eng and tranny in the truck and finish restoring it..The truck has a great body and interior.

I guess only I can make that call....lol

Last edited:
Yea, sometimes vehicles like that are more meant for someone that wants to make a hobby out of it and can afford it. If it's a daily driver it might not be worth keeping. That's why I hate cars sometimes. Something goes wrong so you put money into it. That happens another three times or so and then you start to wonder if it's worth keeping. Yet you're hesitant to get rid of it because you've put so much money into it already. Sometimes it is good to just stop the bleeding and move on. Good luck man. I feel your pain!

I understand how frustrating this kind of stuff can be, but the stuff you listed may only take a little of your time and less money to figure out.

The valvetrain noise might just be a stuck lifter or two - common for an older low mileage engine. And oil additive to break up some gum/sludge would likely free them.

Overheating - is the fan electric? It should be coming on by default when the air is turned on. If it isnt electric it's probably a worn out fan clutch. Also given the leak, have you replaced the thermostat?

Now the new transmission - thats a bigger bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom