Three Gun At Cherokee Gun Club

It's 3-gun, but very very light on the shotgun. No loading on the clock, or at least very infrequently. They don't expect you to have shotshell carriers on your belt. Or any other fancy gear.

It's a lot of fun; I've done it about 6 times. I highly, highly recommend you try that one before the Noveske/South River one. That one takes all day, and you won't even finish the stages unless you are a fast shotgun reloader (with the belt carriers). You'll get slaughtered-- I came in next to last. Came in fifty-seven places higher when I went again, with the right equipment. So go to CGC first and see if you like it before you start dropping $$$ on equipment. (Also you can check out everyone's equipment and find out what works so you don't have to figure it all out the expensive way.)

They have moved it to the 4th Sunday, starting in January, FWIW. Sign in starts at noon, and I'm back home in Atlanta by 4 or 5.

All you must have is pistol + 2/3 mags + 50 rounds + decent holster (one you can safely draw and reholster with). Mag carrier nice, but not necessary.
Rifle + 2 or 3 mags + 125 rounds ammo (probably use about 90). Don't require a mag carrier. Pocket works fine.
Shotgun + 25 rounds birdshot (#8 or #7.5 only). You'll probably only use 10 rounds.
Eyes, ears. You really need a rifle bag for your two long guns for safety. They'll DQ you if you wave them around. Decent shoes; it gets muddy in the gully.

And that's about it.

The hardest shots I've encountered out there:

1.) Rifle, freehand at 100 yards. Steel silhouettes.
2.) Rifle, headshots on paper silhouettes at 40 yards freehand.
3.) Pistol, headshots at 20 yards freehand.
4.) Pistol, body shots at 40 yards.
None of these are especially hard to make, but trying to do them quickly is the challenge.

The paper targets are IPSC standard, with the usual scoring zones. They also have some steel silhouettes at 100, and some knockover steel for shotguns.

It's fun; come on out! 43 folks last Sunday.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info, Kuduman. Just wanted to get another perspective on this. My brother has been working me over pretty hard to shoot in this match. He says it's tons of fun and a fairly relaxed environment.

Sorry, when I said true three gun I was referring to the USPSA style matches. The folks at Cherokee bill it as a Tactical Rifle match, not as 3 gun. They transitioned to using rifle/pistol/carbine due to the ammo shortages of the past couple of years. Kerry Alexander, the match director is big on a rifle as a precision instrument. That means that you should be able to hit head shots at 40 yards and body shots at 100-110 yards.
It's a good match. Bring what you got and have fun. I have it on good authority that there's occasionally a guy that shows up with a lever action, coach gun, and a revolver. :)

Thanks for the info, Kuduman. Just wanted to get another perspective on this. My brother has been working me over pretty hard to shoot in this match. He says it's tons of fun and a fairly relaxed environment.

Quite relaxed! Competitive, but friendly competitive. Everyone's helping everyone. It's not intimidating, and tons o' fun

Because the barriers to participation (time and equipment) are so low, I encourage everyone with the slightest interest in the shooting sports to try this match. Only costs $15 and takes up a half-day.

Wheeler is right-- the focus is on precision. That is not the case out at the South River shoot. It's almost all about speed there-- the paper targets are scored with one 5-point hit giving full score, or two hits anywhere. So... virtually everyone fires two shots at the paper targets without trying to get two--or any-- A-zone hits. I prefer to focus on making good hits fast-- not super-fast sloppy shots. So I'll never be really good at the SR/Noveske/3-gun Nation type events. I'm comfortable with that. The CGC match is a better match for me.

It is a hoot.

Back
Top Bottom