• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Thinking of moving to a much safer city.... Like Atlanta......

That sign was metro population, and you're older than me. I remember it hitting 2 million.
IIRC, it was "City of Atlanta population." But, I left that crap hole long before that I guess.......
Yeah, maybe they changed it. I'm remembering 1988-ish, it hit 2 million. But it was a long time ago, and I was new to Atlanta, and wasn't seeing it before 1985.

Why move to a city at all? All cities suck. A crime ridden spot of blue surrounded by a much higher percentage of the local population being decent people trying to live decent lives. Living rural doesn't have a lot of the same challenges it used to. Rural internet and connectivity is a thing now. Amazon will deliver down your gravel road. Just be within your desired distance to a grocery store until grocery delivery by drone is a thing and you are good.
With rural, you end up wasting hours in your vehicle to get anything done, and local amenities are scant. Those are the biggest drawbacks for me. Living in town, I don't use the interstates, and I am not sitting in traffic for hours. Everything I need is within four miles of my house like Lowes, Home Depot, Target, multiple grocery stores, restaurants and cafes. I have a Publix 0.9 miles from my mailbox and Lidl 0.6 miles away. I walk to my local butcher, baker and coffee shops from my back door. I sometimes don't drive my car for weeks. The biggest downside to in town is not the crime but the housing costs. It will run you $500,000+ for a 1600sq/ft home in a decent area.

Y'all have had 100 homicides so far this year with a population of 5.9 million. Macon has had 40 homicides this year with a population of 230,000 (including the mostly peaceful County outside the old city limits).

I like my chances better in Atlanta.
.....but, but 5.9 million is far, far, far more dangerous numbers.

With rural, you end up wasting hours in your vehicle to get anything done, and local amenities are scant. Those are the biggest drawbacks for me. Living in town, I don't use the interstates, and I am not sitting in traffic for hours. Everything I need is within four miles of my house like Lowes, Home Depot, Target, multiple grocery stores, restaurants and cafes. I have a Publix 0.9 miles from my mailbox and Lidl 0.6 miles away. I walk to my local butcher, baker and coffee shops from my back door. I sometimes don't drive my car for weeks. The biggest downside to in town is not the crime but the housing costs. It will run you $500,000+ for a 1600sq/ft home in a decent area.

Everything is a compromise in life. Finding the compromise that works best for you is the key.

542b6928616dee838b3ca4a66071334d.jpg

There's nothing better than getting paid to look out the window....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Move to Atlanta?? If I didn't already live in the Metro I'd pick another place to live at this point in my life. Maybe even another state. We lived close in for the jobs. Now we're hear for our families and medical care

Getting ready to retire from the Army, and until a few years ago we planned on staying here in Columbus. We are moving out of state, and I’m sad to say the only thing I’ll miss about Georgia will be ODT and the Veteran community in Columbus. I have young kids, and it’s just not safe enough for them anymore. It’s a shame, but some people can ruin an entire state.

Back
Top Bottom