• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Thinking about getting into archery. Not sure of what setup I want

Dave550

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
44   0
Reaction score
IMG_1088.jpeg

I used to have a Jennings Unistar. It had concentric cams on the end of the limbs and a big figure 8 cam right around the grip area. It would throw Easton game getters so fast.

I would hunt along the edge of the Bush River in Maryland that was on one side of the yard. I slung an arrow at a snake that had his head just at the surface and the rest of him was under water. I shot him through the mouth and out the back of his neck and his head was still in the same place on the surface before I shot. I admit it was a lucky shot although I was half ass archer back then. It didn't hit his spine or any vitals so he swam away and probably healed up just fine. I had a picture of me holding the arrow with the snake on it but it's packed away in my moms stuff in my sister's basement. One of those never happen again in a million years moments. Today's bows are much more refined and quiet but most are just to compact for my liking. Must be a mental thing. Who knows! I am really thinking of getting back into it for bear hunting.

Go to a good archery shop with a good coach and listen to what they tell you. Fitting a bow to the person and purpose is more important than any other weapon.

Go to a good archery shop with a good coach and listen to what they tell you. Fitting a bow to the person and purpose is more important than any other weapon.
Agreed! That Jennings set up I had was a good bow but the lazy rear ends working there didn't or wouldn't take the time set me up with the correct length and weight arrows. I had to guess at it so I never got it to shot as smooth as it should have. They must have thought I wasn't serious about it. They just wouldn't spend the time with me to get it right.
When I bought my son's bow and bargain Barn they took all the time to do that stuff right they cut the arrows to the correct length put the tips on did all the right stuff for him. I never got that when I bought my bow bunch of young punks in there didn't want to do anything.

Back
Top Bottom