• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Think twice before using your AR-15 for home defense. 🤔

True on the noise, NOT TRUE on bullet penetration.

Especially if you use 50-55 grain bullets that will hit that wall at over 3,000 feet per second.
That kind of velocity tends to fragment bullets.
If it's a soft-point or otherwise an expanding bullet made for varmint hunting, the fragments will be smaller and therefore less dangerous to people in the next room.

A 130 grain handgun bullet moving at 900 fps will be more deadly to somebody who is 10 feet from the wall through with the bullet passes.
I watched a video where a guy did a study using the Hornady V-MAX 55gr. cartridge and shot at sections of sheetrock. The 55gr. projectile went through something like 6 sheets spaced 1 inch apart before finally coming apart. So the idea of the bullet obliterating on contact is basically not 100% correct. It will go through several sheets of sheetrock before finally coming apart. I can't say the same about a fragmentation round because I haven't seen any studies done on that. So if over penetration with a projectile I would imagine a shotgun is the better option. If there are multiple Intruders I mean what are you to do. I think I still would want a AR-15 for something like that.

I had my eyes opened working for the City of Atlanta Fire Department in the early 90’s. We ran a home invasion call off of Lenox Rd where some vagrants decided to kick in the back door of a house that just happened to be located next to the railroad tracks they were walking on. Three men started kicking in the back door when the soul occupant of the home, a 15 year old kid, started shouting that he’s got a gun. Undeterred, the home invaders were laughing and threatening to kick in his door and rape him too. So with a single shot through the back door with his dad’s .357 magnum revolver, he sent two of them running and one left face down with a dime sized hole in his upper lip and a fist sized hole in the back of his neck.

So as we arrived to watch the kid crying, telling his story to detectives, the dead suspect had bled out all over the back yard…nothing could be done. But then the detectives gathered by the body and discussed what they were going to charge the kid with. Of course we (FD) put in our two cents worth saying it was clearly self defense, but they brushed that off by pointing out the bad guys “never made it inside”, “the kid shot through the door blindly”, and one genius even speculated that because the suspect was face down, he “must have been running away” even though the entrance and exit wounds would indicate otherwise. Finally a supervisor or lead detective (plain clothes guy) heard it all and said, “we ain’t charging that kid with ****…this was self defense and that poor kid done good! Write it up as self defense!”

So I wonder, what would have happened if that one cop were off that day, or at another scene…what hell would that kid have gone through beyond already having to had killed a man at age 15?

A short time later, a coworker moved to Douglas County (still pretty rural back then). A sheriff’s deputy stopped by when he was moving in and introduced himself and welcomed him to the area. Told him that he patrolled a big area and the response times are slow but if there’s any trouble, “just shoot ‘em in the yard and drag ‘em inside before you call me…but if they’re too big, I’ll help you drag ‘em inside anyway.” 😉

Big difference between urban and rural law enforcement responses…I’m not saying either is right, just different.

How many “gun owners” have suppressors even more so a 458 suppressed sbr
I started “collecting” guns in 1979 (when I turned 21) unfortunately I lost all of them in a boating accident a while back so I think I need to start shopping for one of these ! BTW my insurance is a 40 cal on the nightstand-the only one not in the boat

I watched a video where a guy did a study using the Hornady V-MAX 55gr. cartridge and shot at sections of sheetrock. The 55gr. projectile went through something like 6 sheets spaced 1 inch apart before finally coming apart.

An interior wall has two layers of sheet rock spaced 3.5 inches apart.

After a 55 gr .223 softpoint bullet passes through that, it will need some time, some distance, to have the fragmentation take effect & the fragments start separating from each other.

I don't think that having a third, fourth, fifth, or 6th layer of sheet rock does much compared to just having an extra foot of air space behind that single wall (two layers of drywall spaced a few inches apart).

Well, "the box o'truth" website did what I consider a very realistic test with simulated interior walls being lined up, separated by 10 feet in between them, not just an inch or two.

And the answer is that whether you use SoftPoint 223 rounds or full metal jacket 223 rounds they will still be lethal after they go through a wall or even a couple of walls.

But, SO WILL HANDGUN BULLETS!

And SO WILL ALL SHOTGUN LOADS except birdshot.

B125B4CA-D1C1-44E0-8CB0-D4BB8C35EEB9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom