The writers strike is ov...

We're talking about an industry that most of right thinking America feels is detrimental to both the direction and moral compass of this country.
Facts don't care about your feelings. To categorically paint with such broad strokes is intellectually dishonest and divisive.

It's fine if you don't adhere to that for whatever reason but to be appalled that others hold such an opinion is simply turning a blind eye, or coping.
As seems to be the case here, you are COMPLETELY missing the point. I'm not "appalled" by anyone's "opinion." I'm hurt that people I know and love are being hurt by something that is completely out of their control...and then complete strangers are mocking that hurt. That's the issue.

Doesn't affect me one way or the other
Maybe not in Texas, but in GA it's affecting a lot of good, well meaning people.

Facts don't care about your feelings. To categorically paint with such broad strokes is intellectually dishonest and divisive.

As seems to be the case here, you are COMPLETELY missing the point. I'm not "appalled" by anyone's "opinion." I'm hurt that people I know and love are being hurt by something that is completely out of their control...and then complete strangers are mocking that hurt. That's the issue.

Maybe not in Texas, but in GA it's affecting a lot of good, well meaning people.
Romi,
Nobody likes to see "good well meaning" people hurt. Why is it so confounding to not be able to see how some of us don't exactly follow how "good well meaning people" voluntarily work in that industry (especially long term)? And like all threads this one moved from a tongue in cheek poke to something else.
A less far fetched analogy is the DNC is on contract with a company to provide some type service. The DNC fires said service provider for reduced funding after an election cycle. Are we to lament the misfortune of the employees of the service provider? Or perhaps hope the DNC regains funding? Planned Parenthood closes xx locations around the country due to recent court rulings. I should care about the ISP who lost their account? Or should we hope Roe v Wade is reinstated?
You may dismiss it but it's honestly an industry many Americans run the gamut from lack of care to genuine resentment. The strike is over (apparently?). Thankfully, Georgia's tax payers can get back to subsidizing now.

Sorry, to respond directly to this, I never mocked anyone's hurt. Not sure if anyone else in the thread did but that's a matter of perspective I suppose. I also didn't call those that disagreed with me "small-minded".

Romi,
Nobody likes to see "good well meaning" people hurt. Why is it so confounding to not be able to see how some of us don't exactly follow how "good well meaning people" voluntarily work in that industry (especially long term)? And like all threads this one moved from a tongue in cheek poke to something else.
A less far fetched analogy is the DNC is on contract with a company to provide some type service. The DNC fires said service provider for reduced funding after an election cycle. Are we to lament the misfortune of the employees of the service provider? Or perhaps hope the DNC regains funding? Planned Parenthood closes xx locations around the country due to recent court rulings. I should care about the ISP who lost their account? Or should we hope Roe v Wade is reinstated?
You may dismiss it but it's honestly an industry many Americans run the gamut from lack of care to genuine resentment. The strike is over (apparently?). Thankfully, Georgia's tax payers can get back to subsidizing now.
I guess I don't operate in such a binary world view as do some. I still shop at Target. If I had to buy Bud Light, I would. I remember when the Southern Baptist Convention officially moved to boycott Disney back in the 90's. The Sunday after the announcement, my pastor wore a Mickey Mouse tie in the pulpit. I'm not naive enough not to realize that both sides hate me and only want my vote for their own largesse. To sneer and revel in people's economic ruin is puerile. Reminds me of Thomas Hardy's The Man He Killed.

Whatever. Y'all have fun. I've got some writing to do. :ranger:

I also didn't call those that disagreed with me "small-minded".
For the record, and then I'm really out, I never "call[ed] those that disagreed with me 'small-minded.'"

I made a statement that I stand behind...if you or anyone else found it accusatory, that says more about you than me. People that are out of shape have a hard time doing sit ups. Again, a factual statement.

If the shoe fits...

:yo:

Back
Top Bottom