• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

The Rattler Continues to Grow on Me

Burdy

Default rank 5000+ posts
ODT Co-Founder
Forum Owner
260   0
Reaction score
Wasn't sure about this thing when I bought it, thought maybe it didn't really fill a roll that my MPX couldn't but after lightening it up a bit with the folder, lighter suppressor and changing the trigger to the AR Gold, its coming into its own. It is currently my truck gun, and I don't have the configuration nailed down yet, but the Dead Air Nomad is staying, because it is lighter and much quieter than the Sandman K it replaced. And even though I gave up about 1.5" in length, I got all that back and more moving to the folder instead of the collapsible brace. At 21" long, it is shorter suppressed, than the Q Honey Badger with the 7" barrel is without a suppressor.

An ACOG is staying, but likely not THIS ACOG. I think I will go BACK to the TA33 because the gun is capable in supersonic form of utilizing that magnification and as quiet as the NOMAD has been, I may change to supers altogether. Shooting from the truck is going to require some offset sights of some sort and while an RMR on a 45 degree would look cool, I think I am going to stick with irons. In the interest of keeping things super simple, I am waiting on the Cloud Defensive light to come out as it has a built in tape switch and no cables.

I am also going to rattle can it as soon as I get the time, because, why not.
IMG_20181217_115032 (1).jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20181217112626227_COVER.jpg
IMG_20181217_112610.jpg

Pretty nice setup. I wanted to like these but the weight of such a small package, it just didnt feel right. Looks like your setup may be better

Can you tell me more about the acog? I prefer tue ta33gh myself over my 4x one, but want to try one of thenlower power ones too.

Did you check to see what ammo it stabilizes? Mine only like the cheap Remington subsonic ammo. I was getting keyholes at 25 yatdswith other ammo.

Yeah it absolutely hates Sig 220 grain and Remington 220 is not near as bad but you have to keep in mind the gun was not designed for subsonic ammo nor was it designed to be suppressed. The gun was actually designed around Barnes 110 tac-tx unsuppressed. I shot it through it but I have not done accuracy testing yet. I plan on mounting up my 5-25 scope in the near future to really dial in and define its capabilities. Something tells me with this twist rate it's going to spin that Barnes out nicely. It'll also be nice to run half the grain weight ammo and drop some weight out of the magazine as well.

For the gentleman talking about the weight, the folding brace drops a full 10 oz from the gun over the collapsible stock and it makes a large difference in the feel of the gun. On a side note I just found out it fits perfectly in a ukulele bag.

I chose the ta44 when I originally planned on running it as a subsonic gun only. I think the optic is a nice optic and I wanted something that did not require batteries. But I do think I can get away with the ta33. I turn 41 soon and my eyes just aren't what they used to be so the extra magnification will be nice even for shots at 50 yards. In my opinion the ta33 is one of the most versatile mid-range optics because the eye relief is so dang forgiving and the optic is small, light and requires no power source. I feel claustrophobic with most of the four power acogs as the eye relief is terrible and the eye box is picky. If for some reason I decide to stick with subs only the ta44 will make more sense.
Did you check to see what ammo it stabilizes? Mine only like the cheap Remington subsonic ammo. I was getting keyholes at 25 yatdswith other ammo.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I asked Silencerco about putting my Omega on mine. They said I should check out different ammo loads to make sure the bullet would stabilize with the short barrel. With the slow twist and short length the bullet only makes about 2/3rds of one rotation.

I like your pistol grip, mine came with a regular AR pistol grip. I need to look at getting the fold brace, that looks nice.

Back
Top Bottom