The Cult of the Tacoma

Whitey

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
21   0
Reaction score
My daughter is about to leave for college and has an athletic scholarship that she earned on her own. We are planning to replace her old vehicle with something more reliable. She said she wanted a truck, cool, then she said she wanted a Tacoma, I was thinking F-150. That made sense, they have always looked like girl trucks to me. But now I have been shopping for them and have actually test-driven them. What a worthless piece of crap. The bed is short and shallow, has no power, is sort of quick, has no room on the interior, and cannot pull or stop a boat. They seem like a glorified grocery getter to me. And before people try to say they last forever, all trucks last forever now with little maintenance, until you get into diesels.

So, can someone give me a reasonable reason why the people who like Tacomas will fight you for discrediting them, I just do not get it. The biggest question I have is why are they so much daggum money. I can see them having their place, but for half of what people are selling them for.

Simple solution, buy the F150 and put Tacoma emblems on it.
Or give her $2500 and tell her to go buy any truck she wants.
Or she can get a newer econobox for the mileage then after
she's in college she can link up with another college athlete
w/a Tacoma and borrow theirs.
No thanks needed, glad to help when I can. :eek:

People like Tacomas for the same reason they like Jeeps, they can be set up to do just about anything you want short of towing more than 5-6K lbs. In the city they are easy to park, easy to maneuver, have a usable bed for most people, and if you need more, there are tons of accessories to make the bed more useful. Off road or down a fire service road they are just about the right size to fit most places you want to go.

The reason you are finding out that used Tacomas are so expensive, is that they are among the top vehicles in terms of retaining resale value, right up there with the Jeep Wrangler.

If you were buying it for your use it may not be the right choice, if you tow heavy (it will tow a boat..lol). or need to haul heavy and/or a lot of stuff. But it is likely perfect for your daughters use, take care of it and it should get her thru college and beyond, and when it comes time for her to get a new vehicle, it is likely that the tacoma will also come to the rescue again yielding a larger trade amount than an older F150. Nothing wrong with the F-150 but they shed resale value about as fast as anything on the road, which is one of the reasons why they can be found pretty reasonable on the used market. I think the only truck that has worse resale value is the Ram.

My daughter is about to leave for college and has an athletic scholarship that she earned on her own. We are planning to replace her old vehicle with something more reliable. She said she wanted a truck, cool, then she said she wanted a Tacoma, I was thinking F-150. That made sense, they have always looked like girl trucks to me. But now I have been shopping for them and have actually test-driven them. What a worthless piece of crap. The bed is short and shallow, has no power, is sort of quick, has no room on the interior, and cannot pull or stop a boat. They seem like a glorified grocery getter to me. And before people try to say they last forever, all trucks last forever now with little maintenance, until you get into diesels.

So, can someone give me a reasonable reason why the people who like Tacomas will fight you for discrediting them, I just do not get it. The biggest question I have is why are they so much daggum money. I can see them having their place, but for half of what people are selling them for.

First and foremost, this is absolutely the worst time in the history of buying a used car/truck ever... look at the price of any newer truck and then compare it to the price of a new truck. There is very little difference in price. As a matter of fact some used vehicles were selling for more than the same vehicle, brand new at MSRP. And the Tacoma was one of those vehicles. That is just the used car market right now, it is what it is. Yes the Tacoma is smaller overall than a F150. But let's be honest, how much more pay load and towing does the F150 have over the Tacoma? And if you're being REALLY honest with yourself, how many boats, and bags of concrete is she going to load, and tow? I had a 2016 RAM 1500, that I traded in for a 2021 Toyota Tacoma... 2 main reasons why.
1st- I couldn't drive the 1500 for more than 4 hours without my back being in agony, no matter how I adjusted the seat. And I drive once a month to Ft. Knox, about 6 to 7 hours one way.
2nd- Gas mileage, about 15 mpg in the RAM. And it simply drove like a truck, I found it physically taxing to drive on the highway.

After a year with the Tacoma, it's more car like, easier to drive, a lot easier to park in smaller spaces. (Like she'll be parking in at college)
Overall I like the Tacoma, but it's not without its faults, it's plain vanilla like most of the Toyota vehicles. It's not fast, or full of fancy equipment. My RAM was waaaaay nicer than the Tacoma, especially the interior.
But the build quality of the Toyota is better than any American truck. Especially anything from GM...
I don't know what your budget is for a vehicle but if you're going to spend around 20k, you might want to look at a new Ford maverick, or a 4 cylinder Toyota Tacoma 2 door extra cab.

Back
Top Bottom