• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

The “Reverse Sear”, do you cook your steak this way?

I would think you'd lose a lot of the juices doing this whereas the traditional method locks them in. I may be wrong, it happens.

I keep hearing about how this is how all the high end fancy places cook their steak. That's why I don't go out for steak, they ruin it. The only proper way to cook a steak is to let it reach room temperature and then cook it on extremely high heat for a few seconds on each side. Or just eat it raw. Putting a steak in the oven is gayer than Elton John pushing a wheelbarrow full of buttholes.

This may be blasphemy to some but on the green egg I smoke the steaks ( mesquite ) with only one side having hot coals. I then move the steaks to the side with hot coals to sear and finish. I'm a medium rare kind of guy and I've not been disappointed yet with that technique.

I beg to differ I marinade mine for 2 days. Pull it out at let it sit on the cutting board for no less than 4hrs to reach room temp..1/2 hr before ready for the grill. I scrape the grill again just because, which I do when I am finished grilling the last time..Once it get to 500 degrees I scrape it again, spray the grate with olive oil and put the steak on. I sear on each side and then change for a cross sear and turn down for a slow grill, until desired Level of finished desire..I have no complaints other then, request for notification of the next grilling..My pleasure is watch those I invite enjoy!! I get full just tasting food, before the finished complete meal..That is how I roll...

Sad thing is I like a steak that is seared on the out side to prevent juice loss and bleeding on the inside! But when the Bride requests a steak, I cry the whole time and start drinking, she likes them to the point that they are all but burnt. I also forgot to mention I let them sit for 15 min. To prevent the loss of juices..Oh and I also brush the grill clean after when it is still hot..

Back
Top Bottom