• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus PT 738

grayelky

Default rank <400 posts
Survivalist
Firearms/Accessories Dealer
14   1
Reaction score
Sunday afternoon, my 2 sons and I shot a Taurus PT 738 (.380 ACP) - their version of Ruger's LCP, which is a copy of the KelTec P3AT. If practice makes perfect, it paid off for Taurus to wait to bring out their idea of a small, light weight carry pistol. Based on the limited shooting I did, I need to order several of these for my store.

i103.photobucket.com_albums_m123_grayelky_taurus_IMG_20100822_210425.jpg

The little Taurus comes with a pouch that attaches with a clip to your belt or waist band. It will never be known as fast access device, but it will carry the gun covertly. One thing Taurus did I really like is to include 2 magazines. Like all of Taurus' products, it comes with their locking system, which works very well. It seems to have less felt recoil than the KelTec or Ruger, and a better trigger pull. (This is just an impression, and not checked against a trigger pull guage.) In a side by side by side comparison, the Taurus is slightly thicker than the other 2, giving a little better hold. It also has a larger trigger guard, for those winter times when gloves are in order. The lower felt recoil may be due in part to the Taurus being slightly heavier. From the respective web sites:
Taurus PT 738 10.2 ounces
Ruger LCP 9.4 ounces
KelTec P3AT 8.3 ounces

The sample PT 738 has a stainless steel slide, which I thought may contribute to it being the heaviest of the 3. A check of the web site shows the blued version to have the same weight. I personally like the SS slide. For those who do not like the 2 tone effect, a black slide is available.

I have been carrying a KelTec P32 since its introduction in 1999. It will soon be replaced by a PT 738. My older son got a Ruger LCP about a month ago. He has asked me to order him a Taurus. Anyone interested in a slightly used LCP, with a spare mag? The Taurus we shot will become my wife's. I am confident once my younger son gets his new job, he too will want a Taurus.

Anyone considering the purchase of a small, light .380 needs to give the Taurus PT 738 very serious consideration.

Back
Top Bottom