• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Taurus Model 85 38 Special

Sharps40

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
4   0
Reaction score
I got this gun used in a multi gun trade for a Long Range Creedmore Rolling Block 38-56 caliber rifle. All my comments on the Taurus 605 and Taurus 44 Special Snub nose apply here. The notible exception is the trigger pull on the Taurus 85. It is good enough from the factory that I don't feel a need for a reduced power trigger return spring. The frame of the Taurus 85 is slightly smaller than the Model 605 and you can feel a difference when holstering or pocketing the gun. It's nice to know this gun will handle the 38 Special +P ammo all day w/out a hiccup. I have fired about 300 rounds of 38 Special handloads (158g LSWC and 125g JHP) in two range sessions at 15 meters. Like any revolver, the Model 85 ticks along and never had a malfunction. Accuracy is very good for a snub and the muzzle blast is not nearly as bad as with the snub nosed 357 Magnums. Probably, this is my favorite Snub nose. Easy to carry, easy to shoot well with good to great combat accuracy and the fixed sights put the various bullet weights on top of each other at 15 meters. We even shot some golf balls off the fence post with this one. What a hoot when you connect with a golf ball, they sure launch well! Opinion: I'm likely to reach for the Model 85 first whether I am planning a range day or long distance motorcycle trip.

Last edited:
I on the other hand have had problems with 2 different ones . On one the cylinder locked up while at the range with 3 loaded rounds still in the chamber. You couldn't turn the cylinder, pull the trigger or get the cylinder release to work. I left it at the indoor range and a smith managed to get it unjammed. he didnt charge me anything but he never did tell me what was wrong with it ,I sent it back and Taurus said it was fine and nothing was wrong.
The other broke a hammer spring after about 500 rounds.

I had the same problem with mine. Cylinder would lock 1 out of every 15-20 trigger pulls. I sent it back to Taurus and waited 8 weeks. They said the replaced the cylinder, trigger spring, and something else. When I got it back it worked fine and I have not had a malfunction since (300 rounds or so). It's always the same story with all Taurus firearms. Either you get a good one out of the box and it functions flawlessly, or you get a piece of crap that has to be shipped back to Taurus and then it functions flawlessly. Personally, I say the savings you get buy getting a Taurus are worth the gamble. Just make sure you run a few hundred rounds through it when you first get one to make sure it's reliable when you need it.

Ben

I have a ? I got a Rossi model 85 in a trade,38 Special.Will it handle +P on occasion or stay with reg loads?

Never a problem with 6 of the Taurus revolvers. Note: the trigger return has 3 clicks as the locking bolt and sear levers reset. Not releasing the trigger far enough will lock the works at click #2 until you fully release the trigger past click #3 in preparation f/the next shot. I suppose weak or butchered trigger spring or lots of dirt could cause the trigger to stick at click #2 even though your finger moved off the trigger pad altogether. Probably some combo of technique, dirt or burr/weak spring is the cause. All are easy to fix though.

Last edited:
Have a model 85 also. Never an issue. It's not a light weight, so it's a little heavy as a CCW, but not too bad. Pretty good trigger also. It's more accurate than expected whenever I take my time. I purchased a Blackhawk serpa holster for a J frame Smith and with a little modification it fit the Taurus.

I have a Taurus 85ss. Never had an issue with it, but I probably do not put as many rounds through it as many of you would. My wife loves it, and shoot pretty well with it. Just my 2 cents worth of info.

A busy evening. I just finished putting new wolf springs in this one and the Mod 605 listed on the reviews board. Very similar and satisfying results as written up on the Taurus Snub 44. This 85 finished out 8 pounds double action and just under 2.5 lbs single action.

Back
Top Bottom