• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SVT-40 Range Report

Great range report!

I got FTE on the 1.3 setting (not enough gas) and blew out the extractor on 1.5. Unfortunately there is no "1.4" setting. I'm taking 'er back to the range and will be playing around with the gas settings to see if I can get consistent cycling.

I was shooting late 1940's vintage ammo, so I'll try the silver tips Monday.

Yours is the first I've heard that would cycle well on such a low setting. I think the scope mounts are expensive but would be a great investment. Mine doesn't have the milling required.

I know I'm going to love mine once it's sorted out. I took my cleaning rod out just so it wouldn't wear the finish below the barrel.

I have to agree about the recoil. The muzzle brake is very effective. I think it recoils less than my PSL.

Here's a great video of one firing in slow motion. And I thought the AK had a bunch of movement during firing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great range report!

I got FTE on the 1.3 setting (not enough gas) and blew out the extractor on 1.5. Unfortunately there is no "1.4" setting. I'm taking 'er back to the range and will be playing around with the gas settings to see if I can get consistent cycling.

Yours is the first I've heard that would cycle well on such a low setting. I think the scope mounts are expensive but would be a great investment. Mine doesn't have the milling required.

I know I'm going to love mine once it's sorted out. I took my cleaning rod out just so it wouldn't wear the finish below the barrel.

I have to agree about the recoil. The muzzle brake is very effective. I think it recoils less than my PSL.

Thanks for the kind words, i've never posted a range report before so i'm glad you found it helpful. The SVT that I bought is so clean and basically unfired and I think that's why the low setting works so well. You may have a flake of rust moving around between your regulator and the outer wall of the tube. I'd try (gently) tapping it out with a brass hammer and clean & buff the regulator and the flange that it seals against. Numrich has plenty of parts to fit them if you need to replace anything.

There's an SVT for sale at Big Woods Goods on consignment that has the scope and mount on it, but I'm not going to do that with mine. I personally don't think they are accurate enough to worry with a scope. I do agree with your comment about the recoil being less than my PSL too. Appreciate the video....I never knew they flexed that much when fired.

Great range report!

Thanks for the kind words, i've never posted a range report before so i'm glad you found it helpful. The SVT that I bought is so clean and basically unfired and I think that's why the low setting works so well. You may have a flake of rust moving around between your regulator and the outer wall of the tube. I'd try (gently) tapping it out with a brass hammer and clean & buff the regulator and the flange that it seals against. Numrich has plenty of parts to fit them if you need to replace anything.

There's an SVT for sale at Big Woods Goods on consignment that has the scope and mount on it, but I'm not going to do that with mine. I personally don't think they are accurate enough to worry with a scope. I do agree with your comment about the recoil being less than my PSL too. Appreciate the video....I never knew they flexed that much when fired.

Jezz, Hayata's PSL felt like it was going to give me a black eye every time I shot it. I don't know how you can go from a bolt action to an auto and not lose any recoil.

Back
Top Bottom