• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Surppressor questions

BlackRifler42

Default rank 5000+ posts Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
151   0
Reaction score
So I'm thinking about looking for a new Ruger all black 22/45 lite and picking up a can for it. Now my questions are:

What is a Trust and how do I go about setting one up and the besides the $200 tax stamp?

What would be the best bag for your buck Suppressor?

Do I have to list each firearm that may be surppressed or is it just the can?

I'm very green to this matter so info would help. Thanks guys

Most of these topics are covered in the Class III forum http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/forums/112-Class-III-amp-NFA-Discussion-amp-Classifieds

A trust can be done on your own, with software, or with a lawyer. The tax stamp is separate from the trust and will still need to be paid, though you won't have to pay for pictures/fingerprints if you have a trust. Only NFA items need to bother going in the trust really, so that would be the can only unless you are putting it on another NFA item (such as an SBR). As far as "best bang for your buck", I won't venture any guesses but there are some threads in the Class III forum which may give some insight for you.

So I'm thinking about looking for a new Ruger all black 22/45 lite and picking up a can for it. Now my questions are:

What is a Trust and how do I go about setting one up and the besides the $200 tax stamp?

What would be the best bag for your buck Suppressor?

Do I have to list each firearm that may be surppressed or is it just the can?

I'm very green to this matter so info would help. Thanks guys

Over in the NFA section under the forums there are a few threads that have examples of trusts. If cost is not an issue for the trust and want it done by a lawyer this guy does a great job and is quick (www.[B]georgianfatrust[/B].com)

You only purchase the can. You can mount it on anything you want.

And best bang for your'e buck is all gonna matter on your'e preferrences. Depends on if you like the major name brands or would rather deal with a local company. There are tons of videos on YouTube for which cans sound best on what hosts.

My fault Mods if this needs to be moved.

So lets say I don't feel like paying $200 for a tax stamp, then $355 for a trust, and X amount for a surppressor.....What makes the expensive trust better then the other route?

So lets say I don't feel like paying $200 for a tax stamp, then $355 for a trust, and X amount for a surppressor.....What makes the expensive trust better then the other route?

With a trust there is no need for CLEO signoff to buy a class III item. With a trust, more than one person can "own" it. All people listed as trustees can thus legally possess the items in the trust. Without the trust, if you are the "owner" and you are not present when someone else has possession of the item, they are violating the law (even if it's your wife/sister/brother/mother/etc). If you aren't present, no one else can have "possession" of the Class III items. You can add/remove people from the trust at will also.

I also don't advocate doing the trust yourself, because if the trust is determined at some later time to be prepared improperly (due to you not knowing something about putting it together) then all items purchased via the trust would be illegally owned Class III items (pretty stiff penalty for that btw).

Some people say that the more pricey ones will hold up better under scrutiny. I created my own using Quicken Willmaker for a very good price.

As for a can, for the price, its hard to beat the ISIS-2 and I did a LOT of looking. That's a 9mm can that will do .22 and .300 blackout/ whisper.

The trust is only a one time purchase and can use it anytime you buy NFA/Class3. Trust also allows that your children or whoever you set up as the trustees to take possesion of your items without paying the tax when you take the dirt nap (God forbid anytime soon) as we all do eventually.

The way I understand it, a 'normal' trust, like you would create with Quicken is 99% the way you would do an NFA trust. However it sounds like some of those differences can cause legal problems if they are looked at too hard or under the wrong circumstances.

If you are doing a single item, it's probably not worth the effort for a trust, especially if you have a good CLEO. Just make sure you follow the rules. A suppressor seems like such a simple part, it's hard to take those rules seriously, but it sounds like the AFT does.

If you are doing multiple items, or expensive items like an SBR, a lawyer-drafted trust is the way to go. A few hundred bucks to have a trust drafted that a lawyer will defend in court is cheap insurance to my mind.

The trust is only a one time purchase and can use it anytime you buy NFA/Class3. Trust also allows that your children or whoever you set up as the trustees to take possesion of your items without paying the tax when you take the dirt nap (God forbid anytime soon) as we all do eventually.

You also need to keep some paperwork handy for when that happens. It does not just transfer. They still have to submit paperwork. The transfer is free though. I keep that paperwork with all the original stamps. So when I croke it will be easy on them.

Back
Top Bottom