• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Supressors on pellet guns .... curiousity

FredAlert

Default rank <5000 posts
ODT Junkie!
217   3
Reaction score
So I realize this isn't actually an NFA discussion but I'm just curious. So we need to register and get a tax stamp for suppressors for firearms but I've noticed that in the last few years most of the higher end bb/pellet gun companies have come out with models with integral "suppressors". I've had a chance to play with a few of them and they really do make them sound like basically nothing when you fire them. Is this allowed because the pellet guns aren't actually firearms?

This is the same thing for paintball guns. In the '80s and '90s (and to a lesser extenet, even today) there were (are) barrel extensions that could be slipped onto the end of the fixed barrel of the old brass guns. However, they were cleverly called "rain covers" and sold with the explanation that they blocked rain from entering your barrel and ruining your paint. The nice ones were able to be disassembled some new/ more "rain absorbing material" could be added. Anyone who has fired an old brass based paintball gun knows they have a certain "pop" to them. The rain cover did a good job of reducing the audible sound of the shot.

Back
Top Bottom