• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Suppressed SBR for defensive/home defense use?

Suppressed is good for ears and short barrel is good for your walls.

There is no good history to show prosecutors jumping on legally owned Nfa cases, only 1 case exists that I know of and it was a machine gun used after some road raging.

Suppressed is good for ears and short barrel is good for your walls.

There is no good history to show prosecutors jumping on legally owned Nfa cases, only 1 case exists that I know of and it was a machine gun used after some road raging.
That is a good story too. I wish I had the link.

Don't believe you have any legal issues if you have to proper Tax Stamps for SBR and Suppressor.

I have a couple PAP M 92 AK Pistols... Was thinking of using one for Home Defense.... Got real concerned about the pentration capabilities of the 7.62 x 39 round.... With kids and neighbors, I have decided against this for Home Defense... Will get a 12 Ga to put next to my 9 MM.

Shouldn't be any legal issues. But to play Devils Advocate, there are a few problems I could see are if you had to go to trial...

1) The same reason it makes no sense to carry a $3,000 1911... You may not get it back. Depending on how they treat evidence in your jurisdiction you may never see it again. Or it could sit in an evidence locker for a few years. Either way, it would be a pretty expensive loss.

2) Optics. Not what's on the gun, but the way it would look to jurors. An SBR with a suppressor would be a pretty intimidating thing for a jury that knows nothing about guns. You would have to do a lot of 'jury education' to counter that after Hollywood has vilified 'silencers' and 'sawed off guns' so well.

It might just be simpler and cheaper to keep a pair of decent electronic muffs hooked onto your regular AR instead.

Shouldn't be any legal issues. But to play Devils Advocate, there are a few problems I could see are if you had to go to trial...

1) The same reason it makes no sense to carry a $3,000 1911... You may not get it back. Depending on how they treat evidence in your jurisdiction you may never see it again. Or it could sit in an evidence locker for a few years. Either way, it would be a pretty expensive loss.

2) Optics. Not what's on the gun, but the way it would look to jurors. An SBR with a suppressor would be a pretty intimidating thing for a jury that knows nothing about guns. You would have to do a lot of 'jury education' to counter that after Hollywood has vilified 'silencers' and 'sawed off guns' so well.

It might just be simpler and cheaper to keep a pair of decent electronic muffs hooked onto your regular AR instead.

This is exactly why I take Uncle Joe's advice and keep a double barreled shotgun at the ready to blast off the front porch at anyone who seems intimidating.

Back
Top Bottom