• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Sunroof/Moonroof Yes Or No?

Do you like sunroofs?

• Yes

Votes: 14 25.0%
  • Nope

Votes: 42 75.0%

• Total voters
Just curious, do you like or prefer a sunroof/moonroof in a vehicle?

For me, I don’t get it. I literally have never used one in all the vehicles I have owned and they are all just another thing that will guarantee leakage.
I have the 91 Nissan Hardbody 4WD my stepfather bought new . But then he had a damn aftermarket sunroof installed THAT WAS NEVER OPENED. So now I have a tarp over said Nissan because that damn thing leaks bad. So... that's a hard no from me on sunroofs.

I'm not fussed, rarely, if ever open them. Although I'd hesitate to buy a vehicle with one of the latest trend of huge glass panels. I like the illusion of a solid roof, even if it's only a plastic sliding tray.

Have them, rarely use them. Would rather just save the coin, increase the headroom, reduce the weight and complexity.
When I worked at a VW/Audi shop in 07 I learned that later model VWs have an access panel in front of the sunroof that you can pop off and see a hex key looking tool and this gear looking thing. Basically that's how you manually close the sunroof WHEN ( not IF) it fails. Because let's face it here...it's a damn VW and it IS going to break most likely sooner than later.

They ALL leak and eventually fail, some just have better drain systems than others (you still need to clean all of them). And I'd rather have a little bit more headroom and less road noise instead of a big hole.
Yea mine drains to the area behind the spare tire and has a plug to drain it out.

Every vehicle I’ve owned in the last 20 years has had a sunroof. I love them, use them in the mornings and night. Especially in the spring and fall.

The caveat is the manufacturer of the vehicle. All of mine have been Toyota or Honda and I’ve never had an issue. I’ve heard of drain tubes being clogged but that is usually people that regularly park under trees or outside. All of mine have been garage kept.

I’ve had friends with Chrysler, Ford and Chevrolet, and VW that have had sunroof issues. Especially Ford.

Without sounding pretentious, it all comes down to the manufacturer. There are few good brands and many garbage brands.

Back
Top Bottom