• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Suggestions for one youth gun to do it all

No-Limit

Default rank <750 posts
Frontiersman
28   0
Reaction score
Son is 9 yrs old & on the smallish size (55 lbs). Looking for a youth gun to do it all.

Was thinking maybe a 20 gauge- perhaps with different barrels?

Deer hunting (less than 100 yrd shots).
Dove hunting / skeet shooting
Turkey hunting

They have a skeet shooting team that he can join in a couple years at school, so thinking in advance about that. Most of the kids use 20 gauge.

Price not really a factor- want to get him something nice & good quality that he will have for a long time.

Maybe a Benelli M2 that I could put a red dot sight on for deer/turkey & take it off for dove/skeet. I'm assuming they make a youth stock for the M2?

Any of the rifle/shotgun combo with changeable barrels worth looking at or to stay away from?

Open to suggestions- thanks.

I have a Mossberg 500 "Bantam" 20 ga.
and it's got considerable recoil with any load, but the recoil with slugs are buckshot is intolerable to most women and teenagers that I've let use it.

Even many adults that shoot it say it kicks their shoulder too much for their liking.

and I have trained boys that weigh 100+ pounds to use it--teenage boys --and the ones that could handle it said it was a challenge. Others took one or two shots and never wanted to touch it again.

No such "one gun" for a 55-lb. kid

It's better to get 2 inexpensive guns than one expensive one that will not adequately fill two or more different roles.

Turkish made over- under with interchangeable choke tubes, in 20 gauge, for sporting shotgun use. $400.

Savage Axis II or Remington 770
in .243 for the deer rifle. $400.

Yeah that was another option I was considering. Something like a CVA Scout youth .243 single-shot & then pair that with a decent 20 gauge (maybe even a nice over/under that he would have forever).

That might be the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom