• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Suggestions for a bolt action 22..?

Having owned both the savage and tikka, Savage FV-SR is a better gun than the Tikka T1X.
It honestly finally came down to a compact Savage mkii,with 18” fluted & threaded steel barrel,with composite “alligator skin” appearing stock. The Bergara just had better balance,a slicker bolt,and trigger. IF the Bergara had not been there…I would have happily taken a stainless Savage,with composite stock & accutrigger home..and saved $300 ;). Savage makes a helluva rimfire for the money…IMO.

It honestly finally came down to a compact Savage mkii,with 18” fluted & threaded steel barrel,with composite “alligator skin” appearing stock. The Bergara just had better balance,a slicker bolt,and trigger. IF the Bergara had not been there…I would have happily taken a stainless Savage,with composite stock & accutrigger home..and saved $300 ;). Savage makes a helluva rimfire for the money…IMO.
I would like to find and fondle the bergara one day. It might just be the replacement lol

Okay..after reading..and reading..several Marlin models stood out..but are nowhere to be found locally. I have visited ALL of the bigger gun stores in mid-GA & had NO luck on an older 22 that fit. Been searching off & on for a while. Chucks in Warner Robins has a Remington 541T (I think it’s a “T” because of the heavy barrel)..but they are asking $1200 for it..and it’s not mint..at all. Anyhoo..a trip to Barrows in Butler was my final destination today & I think I’ve found a Keeper ;)
They make the T in a sporter barrel, they all aren't heavy. I have one, and could probably be talked out of it.

I would like to find and fondle the bergara one day. It might just be the replacement lol
Their home office is in Lawrenceville,GA;) They get great reviews,with 1/2” accuracy at 50 yds pretty common(with high $ Match Ammo of course). Every 22 I’ve ever had seems to have a preference in what it likes best..so it may take experimenting a bit. Minute of Squirrel head at 50,with common Ammo will be fine by me. At just 5 lbs(probably 6.25 with scope)…it should be easy to carry:)

Back
Top Bottom