• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Subsonic hunting kill

Laxguy59

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
64   0
Reaction score
a friend sent me this. Said he used a 240gr 44spl at around 75 yards. Ruger 77/44 witimh Lane 458 Scorpion suppressor.

i.imgur.com_FyPtWVy.png

i.imgur.com_i4anT4f.png

Through and through shot.

And here people try and tell my my 44magnum rounds are unethical beyond 75yards and a 44spl is still doing the trick at that range.

Well, in that long of a barrel, the .44 Special is probably pushing the very upper edge of subsonic, but would be around 750-800 fps out of a 4" revolver. Those extra 200 fps mean quite a bit below 150 yards.

Plus, there are still a lot of people out there that believe that deer are the Terminators of the animal world instead of the thin skinned varmints that they really are.

Well, in that long of a barrel, the .44 Special is probably pushing the very upper edge of subsonic, but would be around 750-800 fps out of a 4" revolver. Those extra 200 fps mean quite a bit below 150 yards.

no doubt. 185gr 44spl marked 950fps on the box goes supersonic in my 17" barrel. 200gr stuff goes supersonic as well. I pretty much have to use 240gr.

If I recall the 44spl in 240gr is usually packaged with a label reading under 800fps, so it would have to gain over 35% velocity to break the sound barrier.

Last edited:

And here people try and tell my my 44magnum rounds are unethical beyond 75yards and a 44spl is still doing the trick at that range.

Good shot placement and within 100 yards - looks fine to me. Did your friend say how far the deer went after being shot?

I shot a smaller doe a couple of nights ago with a 62 gr Fusion using an 12" AR/Mini Grunt at 75 yards, and I was impressed with it. It was a lung shot with an exit hole slightly smaller than a baseball. It absolutely destroyed the lung area, and there was blood everywhere, but I didn't have to worry about tracking because it only went about 10 yards.

I have yet to shoot anything with my 30-Carbine that didn't drop within 25-30 yards of the hit.

Back
Top Bottom