Stuffing and Dressing ARE NOT the same thing!

I always thought stuffing and dressing were the same except “stuffing” was cooked in the bird and “dressing” was cooked in a dish. In my mind, I had servings of both stuffing and dressing today—some from inside the bird and some from a Pyrex dish.

In my experience w/ the Chicago Italians: stuffing is loaf bread and is very wet. Dressing is cornbread and biscuits, and much drier. I suppose different families make each differently, but I can not eat her stuffing!!! By definition stuffing is stuffed in the birds; however, it too can be done in a casserole dish. This does not change the fact that it is not edible to my Southern taste buds.

This is not rocket science, even for ex-Yankees.

Stuffing is 'stuffing' because it's stuffed into the bird. If it's cooked outside the bird it's dressing. Like 'window dressing'... something that's an accessory. This ain't a North/South thing. it's common sense. Usually the same recipe though, either way.

This is not rocket science, even for ex-Yankees.

Stuffing is 'stuffing' because it's stuffed into the bird. If it's cooked outside the bird it's dressing. Like 'window dressing'... something that's an accessory. This ain't a North/South thing. it's common sense. Usually the same recipe though, either way.
Uhmm....no. just......no.

When I’m asked why pecan is pronounced differently I always say pecan is still on the tree and pe-con are the ones on the ground. Most believe me. I tell em it’s a southern thing, even though I’m the one who made it up.

<<<< Sicilian from Chicago made from parents from Sicily.

In my experience w/ the Chicago Italians: stuffing is loaf bread and is very wet. Dressing is cornbread and biscuits, and much drier. I suppose different families make each differently, but I can not eat her stuffing!!! By definition stuffing is stuffed in the birds; however, it too can be done in a casserole dish. This does not change the fact that it is not edible to my Southern taste buds.

My mother NEVER stuffed a turkey said it was disgusting.

Back
Top Bottom